NAV 2009 SP1 executable-only upgrade not possible?

cdstudecdstude Member Posts: 16
edited 2010-01-19 in NAV Three Tier
This is from MBS - I received it via my company's internal Tech Support:

Note: To upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 or any previous version, you must perform a full upgrade of all files and objects to ensure they are compatible with the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 platform. You must also update Web services. For information on how to upgrade, see the Upgrade Toolkit included in the product download, the Developer’s Toolkit for Microsoft Dynamics NAV, and the Developer and IT Pro Help on MSDN.

Can anyone verify / reject the above statement? I can understand the above if speaking RTC only, but not the classic (native / SQL) client...

Chris Studebaker

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yes that is MS's stand on executable upgrades for 2009. They do not support it, but it doesn't mean it does not work. After all they upgraded themselves the executable.

I have upgraded one client from 5.0 to 2009 executable.

I have upgraded a client on 4.0 with Lanham E-ship to 2009 exe for sole purpose to use webservices. 2 weeks ago we went live with their website integration through web services.
    They also have RTC running but only for the purpose of website integration to do testing of entering orders/ debugging issues.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • cdstudecdstude Member Posts: 16
    Just to clarify - you were using SP1 (6.01) exe's? I have many customers on a 2009 executable base, using web services also with 2009 (6.00) exe's but have not tried 6.01 exe's...
    Yes 2009 Sp1. Initially we were using 2009 exe, but when sp1 was released we switched to 2009 sp1 executable.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    cdstude wrote:
    Can anyone verify / reject the above statement? I can understand the above if speaking RTC only, but not the classic (native / SQL) client...

Yes, this statement is true ONLY for RTC only, not the classic client.

For NAV2009 RTC, you cannot simply just upgrade the executables or else you'll get a bunch of garbage on the RTC.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    cdstude wrote:

For NAV2009 RTC, you cannot simply just upgrade the executables or else you'll get a bunch of garbage on the RTC.

Is it only for RTC? Is this something you received directly from MS?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

I tried this myself.

Start off with NAV2009 installation with the database. Then upgrade your executable to NAV2009 SP1. Start the RTC and you'll get garbage.
    I think it's more Microsoft Support toward executable upgrades rather than whether it can be done or not.
    I don't think they ever publicly supported executable upgrades.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    I think it's more Microsoft Support toward executable upgrades rather than whether it can be done or not.
    I don't think they ever publicly supported executable upgrades.

Like I said, if you're using RTC, you have to do a full upgrade from NAV2009 to NAV2009 SP1. Or else your RTC pages will not display properly.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Alex Chow wrote:
    cdstude wrote:

Actually it is true for the classic client too, MSFT has made it their new policy not to support technical upgrades on the classic client anymore either. This was explained to me by a NAV tech support person that was physically present at one of my projects recently. And he did say that it was officially never the case, they have stated that they will be enforcing this more.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, there are reasons for that. It is mainly because future...

Min thing when doing upgrade from NAV2009 to SP1 is that you need to recompile all objects after the upgrade and some pages must be "redesigned" to work correctly, because many things have changed...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • iceborgiceborg Member Posts: 67
    For Tech Upgrades from NAVXXXX to NAV 2009 SP1 this is very true.
    You cannot expect the Code Base in a ..NAV2009 Database to work fully functional with NAV 2009 SP1 RTC or Web Services. Obviously the versions before NAV2009 will not have pages, but even a uncustomized NAV2009 database will not be fully functional with NAV 2009 SP1 Executables.
    For example: Try the Setup Automatic include Exstended Texts for an Item in a NAV 2009 Database using NAV2009 SP1 RTC executables and then go and create a SO for the Item...
    OR try a Web Service with a COMMIT statement in it and the line after an ERROR, test it with NAV2009 and NAV 2009 SP1 exe's you'll see the differance.

For a pure Classic Implementation I am not aware of any direct issues as such,nevertheless it is not supported.
    I thought ignoring the COMMIT was a great feature in 2009 webservice.

And I just tested it in 2009 SP1, and it executes COMMIT so if you have commits in your code, you'll be left with inconsistent data.

I wish they left that as an option to enable or disable in code that is being published. :(
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• iceborgiceborg Member Posts: 67
    ara3n wrote:
    I thought ignoring the COMMIT was a great feature in 2009 webservice...I wish they left that as an option to enable or disable in code that is being published. :(

Couldn't agree more =D>