NAV 2009: average costing method

barcamagicbarcamagic Member Posts: 8
Hi,

We are using average costing method on all our items and average cost period of "month"
I have a item No 1300
After I do trasactions in the first inventory period, I run adjust cost item entries and post to GL, I see unit cost of this item is 4.001(I see unit cost in average cost cal overview).
Then I close the first inventory period.
In next inventory period I do return a purchase order that posting date of this PO belong previous inventory period
I use function "get posted document lines to reverse" to get unit cost same as original cost.
Then I run adjust cost item entries and post to GL and now in previous inventory period (closed period) unit cost of this item is changed from 4.001 to 4.002.

I don't know why unit cost of item in previous period is changed when I closed previous inventory ?
How is not unit cost change when I return a PO.

Any help appreciated,

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I'm guessing
    I use function "get posted document lines to reverse
    is a customization or localization?

Does it populate applies from Entry no on the purchase return order lines?
    Also does the return PO show up on the same closing entry month? or on the next?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • barcamagicbarcamagic Member Posts: 8
    Hi ara3n
    Thank you for your reply. I answer some your questions as below:
    -Function "get posted document lines to reverse" is in standard NAV, not customization or localization function.
    -It applies from Entry no on the purchase return order lines.
    -Return PO shows up with posting date in next month when I see it in general ledger entry screen.

But i don't know why I see unit cost of this item in average cost cal overview screen ,I see return PO entry shows up on the same closing entry month( not in next month) so it changes unit cost of item.
    Can you help me explain why ?
    Thank for your help.
    Hello barcamagic

I looked and it looks like they added this feature in 5.x. And it's a great feature especially for serialized item that you would like to return.
    You no longer have to put every serial no on each line but this function automatically sets up the application. =D>

As far Average Costing. When you do direct application. NAV removes it from the direct application from Average costing pool.
    In order to do that, it puts it in the same costing pool as the inbound entry.

I was able to reproduce it and I think it's a nice feature especially when you want to fix a mistake.

As for inventory period being closed, you'll need to bring it up with MS, but that's how it's working right now.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Hi ara3n

Thank you for your help. So can you help me the solution for this situation?
    How do I return a item of PO that the PO belongs previous closed period (item in purchase order return must apply direction with original purchase order) and then if i run adjust cost item entries, unit cost of this item don't change in previous closed period? As you know when I closed inventory period, I fixed unit cost of items and I don't want unit cost changed.

I appreciate your help.
    I would not apply it to a purchase in closed inventory period.

Make sure the "Appl.-to Item Entry" is blank.
    Make sure manually that the unit cost is correct.

Or still use the function ->Get posted document lines. But then blank out the field "Appl.-to Item Entry".
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Hi ara3n

In your solution unit cost of this item would not change in previous period however unit cost of this item will not equal unit cost of item in original PO when I run adjust cost item entries in current period( my costing method is average ).
    My vendor requests me that unit cost of item in return PO must equal unit cost of item in original PO.
    Can you help me other solution?

I appreciate your help very much.
    If you want to keep the cost the same and leave the application, you have to modify the value entries of the return PO and set the Valuation Date equal to Posting Date.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• hansikahansika Member Posts: 373
    ara3n wrote:
    Valuation Date equal to Posting Date.

can i know the difference between Valuation date and posting date in Value entry.

I know about the Posting date , but i am not able to find the use of the valuation date.

Please share u r experience.
    hansika
    Hi ara3n

I tried but I can't find out solution. How do modify the value entries of the return PO and set the Valuation Date equal to Posting Date ?
    Can you explain to me more details?

Thanks for your help.
    edited 2010-01-13
    barcamagic wrote:
    Hi ara3n

I tried but I can't find out solution. How do modify the value entries of the return PO and set the Valuation Date equal to Posting Date ?
    Can you explain to me more details?

Thanks for your help.

You have to make a modification, or report to MS as a bug and tell them that it should hit the closed inventory period,
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

hansika wrote:
    ara3n wrote:
    Valuation Date equal to Posting Date.

can i know the difference between Valuation date and posting date in Value entry.

I know about the Posting date , but i am not able to find the use of the valuation date.

Please share u r experience.

Posting Date is what is used to hit GL.
    "Valuation Date" is used for costing calculation.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini