Rounding - Stripping the decimals

eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
Basically our client wants to see no decimals at all. And it is not a case of setting rounding precision on forms and reports to 1.00, there must be no decimals in any of the accounts except the rounding account.

Currently I suggested they use Invoice Rounding (with rounding precision set to 1.00)
VAT                       4,347,913.44
Cost                     27,174,459.00
Cred.Ctrl Account  -31,522,372.00
Rounding                           -0.44

But the client wants the posting to look something like this:
VAT                       4,347,913.00
Dec. to rounding acc.           0.44
Cred.Ctrl Account  -31,522,372.00
Rounding                           -0.44

The problem I have with this is that given the following example:
VAT                       4,347,913.44
Cost                     27,174,459.60
Cred.Ctrl Account  -31,522,373.00
Rounding                           -0.04

Expected Posting:
VAT                       4,347,913.00
Cred.Ctrl Account  -31,522,373.00
Dec. to rounding acc.           1.04
Rounding                           -0.04

This means that the rollover caused by summing the decimals is sitting in the rounding account instead of the appropriate portion thereof in the correct Cost/VAT account.

Any suggestions on how to better handle this would be greatly appreciated. [-o<
Kind Regards,
Ewald Venter

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This is a megachange in the NAV financial posting routines and should be highly considered not to be done.

If the client really wants this, my reccomendation would be to add another G/L Journal transaction for the rounding afterwards.

So first post 10203,44 to the VAT and then post -0,44 off the VAT and to a rounding account.

This can be a dedicated rounding mgt. codeunit that is managed from codeunit 1.
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the reply.
    If the client really wants this, my reccomendation would be to add another G/L Journal transaction for the rounding afterwards.

So first post 10203,44 to the VAT and then post -0,44 off the VAT and to a rounding account.

This was one of my considerations but the problem is, they want per transaction line/gl entry no decimals. Only the rounding account can have decimals.
    So for them, your example would've looked like this:
    10203.00 VAT
    0.44 VAT Decimals to rounding acc
    -0.44 Rounding adjustment

Further if the sample was like this:
    Vat Amount = 10203.99

10203.00 VAT
    0.99 VAT Decimals to rounding acc
    0.01 Rounding adjustment

My skull is almost cracked from ](*,) - I can't get them to understand the complications and impact (also schedule: request came in on Tuesday to be completed for go-live on Monday...)
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
    Where are you making the change? Is it in Codeunit 12?

You could consider makeing the change in the part that creates the G/L VAT entries.

Should the VAT Enrty be rounded to? Since that is a subadministration that should be easier because it does not balance.

Do you have a signature of the customer taking responsibility for this?
    Like I said, any and all amounts must be stored as x.00

I haven't started with the dev, because just as a concept - this doesn't make sense.
    Basically the reason is that the figures in their currency are too big, they ignore the cents.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
    Then just change the rounding precision in the G/L Setup.

In Japan they also have no cents.
    Amount Rounding Precision or Inv. Rounding Precision?

Any reason why Amount Rounding Precision isn't on the G/L Setup Card?
    Because your pretty stuck if you don't change it before actually start posting.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
    I think it is amount rounding precision.

It is not on the card because it is extremely dangerous to change after go live.

To change it all subadministrations should be closed otherwise you'll apply a rounded amount to a non-rounded amount.

I've changed it once where per accident they went from 2 to 3 decimals and had to back.

We generated rounding entries per document no. and posting dates for all documents out of balance.

Very tricky...