How To Create a new version of an object

mparsymparsy Member Posts: 13
Hi and Best Wishes for this new year! :mrgreen:

I would like to know how to create new versions of objects in Navision. For example, I would like to create a new version of an codeunit, so that it shows in the "version list" of the object Designer, in order to rollback to the older version if needed.
Can we switch between 2 versions in Navision directly or it is necessary to use an external tool?

I thank you in advance for your helpfull answers.

Answers

• manluemanlue Member Posts: 30
    Hi,

creating a new version of an object is done manually by modifying the version number.

As I know it is only possible to hold one version of an object in Navison database. If you like to change an object so it would be useful first to export it as .fob or .txt and save this (f.e. with enhancing the filename with actual version) in an folder created for saving your object versions as files. Then (in Navision) change your object and manually change the version-number. Export the new version as .fob or .txt (and enhancing filename with modified version). Switching between the versions now is possible by importing (and replacing) the object version you want to use.

This I think is the only way. But do you like to tell why this should be done? As this would be a unusual method maybe there's another way to fit your issue?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    You are correct. Navision cannot handle versioning in any way, let alone objects.

But, there are many workaround and creative solutions out there that you can try.

Just search the downloads on this website or here...

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/arc ... iting.aspx
  • mparsymparsy Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your help :)
    manlue wrote:
    Hi,

creating a new version of an object is done manually by modifying the version number.
    Instead of modifying the version number, I've try to manually add one like I saw it in the version list. For example: NAVW13.70.00.06,NAVFR3.10.01.00.01,MyVersion3.00 (in green: what was here before)
    Do you think it'll work?
    This I think is the only way. But do you like to tell why this should be done? As this would be a unusual method maybe there's another way to fit your issue?
    In fact I have to modify a codeunit but I need to keep a version of what's in place right now. I think that your solution is a good one ;)
    You are correct. Navision cannot handle versioning in any way, let alone objects.

But, there are many workaround and creative solutions out there that you can try.

Just search the downloads on this website or here...

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/arc ... iting.aspx
    Thanks for your link. I'm also working on: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17454
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    I have read a post last time regarding on a product by Celenia for object versioning.

check this...

http://www.celenia.com/page962.aspx?recordid962=6
    Navision noob....
    I'll finally use the solution manlue was talking about. So I consider this topic as Solved

Thanks For your help to Y'all.

Best regards :)