Upgrading Navision 3.55 to NAV 2009

HubbaHubba Member Posts: 2
Hi all

What is the correct way to upgrade a current Navision 3.55 to NAV 2009 SP1 when it has to be a 1:1 data upgrade to retain all historic data?

Suggestion:

3.55 -> 2.6x -> 4.0 -> NAV 2009

Is this the correct order or do I have to do it another way?

Thanks!

Hubba

Comments

• AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    I don't understand the logic of going back to 2.6....

How many customizations do you have? There are upgrade tools available for going from 3.X to 2009, but if you have never used them or have never upgraded before your path should be 3.55 -> Upgrade Professional -> 2009. It will be even harder if you are trying to go from 3.55 Navision database to SQL. Just trying to save you the pain I have experienced in the past, it is not fun doing it on your own the first time! :whistle:
  • alexjensenalexjensen Member Posts: 41
    It's not going back to 2.6. It's from Navision (classic) 3.55 to Financials 2.6 :wink:

AJ
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hubba wrote:
    Hi all

What is the correct way to upgrade a current Navision 3.55 to NAV 2009 SP1 when it has to be a 1:1 data upgrade to retain all historic data?

Suggestion:

3.55 -> 2.6x -> 4.0 -> NAV 2009

Is this the correct order or do I have to do it another way?

Thanks!

Hubba

Is there an upgrade tool to go from 3.55 to 2.60? I thought the last upgradeable version was 2.01, but I could be wrong.

If there is then the path you suggest is what you would need to do. Though assuming you don't want to bring over customizations, I would instead consider reposting all the data, this might be a lot easier.

The way I would do it is this:

Create new 2009sp1 DB with all objects needed for the client implementation.
    restore the #BK file form 3.55
    This will import all data into new tables.
    Create journals to repost item cust and vend entries then bring over only as much GL as you need.

Then modify navigate to include the old tables for reference, that you you can keep all theold invoices and other docs where they are and they will be linked to the new posted entries.

This will create the cleanest database. Its the way I have done most of these upgrades after 2.01.
    David Singleton
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    alexjensen wrote:
    It's not going back to 2.6. It's from Navision (classic) 3.55 to Financials 2.6 :wink:

AJ

Oops. Although I think that was officially called Navigator? I read 3.55 as 3.0/3.6. Oh well, it's Friday :lol:
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    AlexWiley wrote:
    alexjensen wrote:

AJ

Oops. Although I think that was officially called Navigator? I read 3.55 as 3.0/3.6. Oh well, it's Friday :lol:

Only in Danish.

http://wiki.dynamicsbook.com/index.php?title=NAV_version_history
    David Singleton