Can't click the OK button on RTC server selection window

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
edited 2010-01-08 in NAV Three Tier
In an attempt to resolve the communication protocol mismatch error I upgraded everything to SP1. Now when I try to connect with the RTC for the first time it says it can't connect (of course), so I say 'No', do not try again, and the server selection window comes up. The address is blank, which previously it was always filled in, even if the address was incorrect. When I enter an address the 'OK' button remains grayed out, so I can't attempt to connect to a new address. I've already opened the classic client, connected to and converted the 2009 database to SP1. I don't understand why the button is grayed out and I am not allowed an attempt at connecting to a server address now. I am at a total loss, can anyone shed some light on this? (I already uninstalled/reinstalled the client, same issue)

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    AlexWiley wrote:
    In an attempt to resolve the communication protocol mismatch error I upgraded everything to SP1. Now when I try to connect with the RTC for the first time it says it can't connect (of course), so I say 'No', do not try again, and the server selection window comes up. The address is blank, which previously it was always filled in, even if the address was incorrect. When I enter an address the 'OK' button remains grayed out, so I can't attempt to connect to a new address. I've already opened the classic client, connected to and converted the 2009 database to SP1. I don't understand why the button is grayed out and I am not allowed an attempt at connecting to a server address now. I am at a total loss, can anyone shed some light on this? (I already uninstalled/reinstalled the client, same issue)

I have the exact same issue. I thought it was because I installed the full version so I changed to Developer (uninstall reinstall) and then even demo, and still have the same issue.
    David Singleton
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    The reason why the OK button is grayed out is because you need select a company Name. What you need to do is TAB from the address text box and NAV will automatically try to connect to that address.

As far as not being able to connect to the the service tier,

You need to change that in the config file.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    Uhg, that is frustrating, but thank you for the solution ara3n!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    The reason why the OK button is grayed out is because you need select a company Name. What you need to do is TAB from the address text box and NAV will automatically try to connect to that address.

As far as not being able to connect to the the service tier,

You need to change that in the config file.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I can not believe I didn't try TAB. =D>

THANKS it works.

So two more questions.
    1/ Did you read somewhere about the TAB key to accept the Server, or just found out by trying stuff.

2/ Do you know why sometimes the correct server is there initially and sometimes not? The config files and everything else were all correct. I just needed to hit TAB and everything worked. No other changes.
    David Singleton
    1. Hitting the TAB key, is what I tried.

As far as the correct server is there initially and sometimes not.
    I think when you install NAV 2009. You can specify the service tier. And that setting is stored in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\

but the user you logged in as does not have this folder until you connect for the first time. And I guess it stores the server URL in history. Or it updates the ClientUserSettings.config "Server" key.

By default it always tries "localhost" if nothing is specified.

I haven't done many installation to get down to exactly what happens.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    I still haven't been able to connect to our service tier, so I'm still troubleshooting, but in the ClientUserSettings file, what is Server Instance? That is one of the parameters I don't understand and it isn't explained in the install and configuration manual.
    ServerInstance is used to differentiate two services if you are installing two service tier on same box.
    Each Service tier would have a separate service instance Name.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Not just hitting Tab, but hitting Enter will work as well.

Right anything that allows it to move from the text box. For example using a mouse and clicking somewhere else.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini