Make a report faster

Mic28Mic28 Member Posts: 13
Hi; I've a report with many dataitems which is very slow when running. I know that the question is very generic, and depends on each case, but, in general, which may be the main reason for which a report will slow down and how it can be solved?.
Thanks.

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Which Version and database (Native/SQL) ??
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    1. Verify that no filters happen there for large tables that are not by a key.
    2. Are you reading the same records many times? If yes copying them to a TEMP table once and then just reading that can be a good idea.
    3. Download SQL Server Resource Kit from mibuso.com. Import objects called advancade client monitor or better client monitor or something like that. Run the standard client monitor (in Tools). Run the report. Run these objects. Wait. When the form opens, filter for elapsed time <>0. Copy the whole stuff to Excel. Set up a Pivot table that analyzes the sum of Elapsed Time by various dimensions f.e. Table Name or C/AL function or something like that, you will find out which operations are the slowest.
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    To add to Miklos first point:
    1. Verify that no filters happen there for large tables that are not by a key.
    You need to understand and know how you want eacht DataItem run through and represent the underlying records. For the is DataItem property DataItemTableView is of crucial importance. You use it to define the sorting order (key) and filtering of the records.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Mic28Mic28 Member Posts: 13
    Which Version and database (Native/SQL) ??

Thanks everybody for reply. I've native 3.70 version. I'll test all your suggestions.
    Thanks for help.