Voucher Number Resent- for New Financial Year

PPPPPP Member Posts: 159
Hi experts,

Can anybody explain me how to reset the voucher numbers when we change to new financial year.
Thanks
PpP

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Define new lines in the No. series line for the no. series to be reset.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • PPPPPP Member Posts: 159
    ssingla wrote:
    Thanks a lot.

I hope by keeping the same document number in the database will not create any problem. I am planning to reuse the Invoice numbers for the next financial year. But there may be same invoices ( unadjusted ) even after closing the year in the Database.
    Systems point of view : No problem expect navigate can show mutiple results and a warning message.....
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    PPP wrote:
    ssingla wrote:
    Thanks a lot.

I hope by keeping the same document number in the database will not create any problem. I am planning to reuse the Invoice numbers for the next financial year. But there may be same invoices ( unadjusted ) even after closing the year in the Database.

Not to be a nay-sayer, but why would you want to use the same invoice numbers for different years, especially when it's so easy to pre-pend the numbers with a unique identifier, e.g. make your invoice numbers 09-12345 in 2009 and 10-12345 in 2010. Better yet, just select a starting number and increment it at the beginning of the year, e.g. if your invoice numbers run 10000-20000 in 2009, change the beginning number to 110000 for 2010.

Ron
    Ron
    Sometimes Custom methods coupled with fear of taxation authorities makes people to commit mistakes. People in manfacturing indutries has a long practice to start the invoice series from "00001" each year. They are not comfortable with the idea of prefix to the number series.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:
    Sometimes Custom methods coupled with fear of taxation authorities makes people to commit mistakes. People in manfacturing indutries has a long practice to start the invoice series from "00001" each year. They are not comfortable with the idea of prefix to the number series.

OK. I'm guessing from your email that you're in India. I've never worked in India, so the business practices could very well be different. But if you are talking about re-using a posted document number, Navision won't allow you to do so in the same application, i.e. You can't post a Sales invoice with posted invoice number 12345, and then come back later and post another sales invoice with the same document number 12345. Note that I'm talking about POSTED document numbers. So the numbers WILL have to be different in some way.

ORDER numbers can be re-used.

Ron
    Ron
    User never said about sales/purchase invoice. For Sales Invoice we use a parallel number series which can be repeated because it is not a part of primary key.

It mainly depends on the consultant to use his skill in changing the business process to suit the features/requirements of NAV and more importantly the best practices.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    ssingla wrote:
    User never said about sales/purchase invoice. For Sales Invoice we use a parallel number series which can be repeated because it is not a part of primary key.

It mainly depends on the consultant to use his skill in changing the business process to suit the features/requirements of NAV and more importantly the best practices.

You're right - I didn't notice that you were responding to the original author, and that he mentioned only "voucher numbers". It was you who pointed out that the numbering practices of "invoices" in certain countries may be different than what I am accustomed to here in the USA.

It depends on the user's definition of "voucher number". If it's only the NAV "Purchase Order number" or "Purchase Invoice number" (non-posted document numbers), then as long as they use unique posted document numbers, then they can re-use them. But again, I wouldn't see a business reason for doing so - since I assume that the example you gave for invoice numbers is related to posted document numbers - which you cannot duplicate.

Ron
    Ron
    rsaritzky wrote:
    It depends on the user's definition of "voucher number". If it's only the NAV "Purchase Order number" or "Purchase Invoice number" (non-posted document numbers), then as long as they use unique posted document numbers, then they can re-use them. But again, I wouldn't see a business reason for doing so - since I assume that the example you gave for invoice numbers is related to posted document numbers - which you cannot duplicate.

I also see no business reason but it is the custom practise and people are quite opposed to change. I have faced a lot, I have been able to change some but a lot remains the way they are.
    CA Sandeep Singla