Nav 4.03 Database service and Windows Server 2008 64bit

poloniouspolonious Member Posts: 64
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if you have done this, or have seen it done, a Nav4.03 Database Service run on a machine running Windows 2008 64bit? I understand the client should be fine (running as a 32bit application), but I can't find any conclusive information on the native datbase sevice itself?

Any help would be great. Cheers.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    On my portable I have Windows 2008 64bit and I have a DBserver 4.0SP3 running without problems.
    If I remember correctly, I did install the hotfix for Vista for 4.0SP3.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• poloniouspolonious Member Posts: 64
    Ok cool, thanks Kriki. Thats a bit of good news.
  • poloniouspolonious Member Posts: 64
    kriki, can you remember which hotfix it was? I'm having problems running the server service on the OS?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• BredokkBredokk Member Posts: 4
    Hello Guys,

I have a problem with the installing Nav 4.03 SP3, OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.
    The install hangs on the step service starting with the following message:
    "Error 1920. Service Microsoft Business Solution-Navision Database Server WSERVER (WSERVER) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I tried to install the "Update 1 of 4.0SP3" but it gives error message:
    "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

How can I install NAV 4.03 SP3 ?

Could anybody help me?

Thanks,
    Bredokk
    I didn't understand if the installation does not work or if the upgrade does not work.

Installation: install it by rightclicking with the mouse and selecting "run as administrator".

Update: try the same trick. Or what I do: I have installed it somewhere else (or opened the package and copied the files) and just copy the files over the originals.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

I tried to installing NAV 4.03 SP3 by "run as administrator" but the error message is the same.
    "Error 1920. Service Microsoft Business Solution-Navision Database Server WSERVER (WSERVER) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
    I had to choose: [Abort] [Retry] [Ignore]
    If I chose [Ignore] then the install will finish, but the service is stopped. I tried to start it in services.msc and I got this msg:
    "Windows could not start the Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server WSERVER service on Local Computer.
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
    "

Have you any idea why can not run the service?
    It is because the non-patched 4.0SP3 is NOT compatible with Windows Vista/2008/7.
    You need to overwrite the executables with the hotfix for Windows Vista/2008/7 (or even better:a later one).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Do you know where could I download the NAV 4.03 SP3 ? MSDN ?
    I have read the same problem in the comments:
    http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/arc ... -2008.aspx

The solution was:
    " - May be you're installing from an "old" 4.0Sp3? Can you download a fresh copy and try again?"
    " - Thankyou verymuch. I did a fresh copy download and installed, everything went fine. "
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

I have downloaded the current navision 4.0 sp3 installer from microsoft partner source, and the server installion was success. :thumbsup:
  • handzahandza Member Posts: 1
    I would really appreciate some more help on this matter. Trying to install database server on server 2008 R2. Unfortunately I cannot get latest installation of Nav 4.0 SP3. We have some but not sure is it the latest one. Anyways, I've red these posts and tried to install update. But whenever I try one it gives me error saying that either there is no installation or the update is not for the installed version (something like that).

Now, since there are many hot-fixes there how can I chose which is the right one (eg. there are few with same name all for english versio, which one to chose). Also can someone describe more precisely steps to make this work if possible.

Many thanks in advance!