Windows authentication query.

DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
Dear All,

I am using windows authentication at one of my NAV setups.
As soon as finsql is started, system logs in to NAV.

My query is -

Can I configure my system such a way that on starting finsql, the system asks for my windows ID and password as in DB server authentication?

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,

Deep
India

Comments

• lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Hi Deep,
    Can I configure my system such a way that on starting finsql, the system asks for my windows ID and password as in DB server authentication?
    I guess by 'system' NAV is meant.

The answer is: no you cannot as that is exactly where WIndows Authentication has been conceived for: that a user once logged into his windows machine (passing the windows security system) has direct access to NAV on SQL Server based on his windows credentials.

If you want NAv to be setup in such a way the users need to login separately into NAV you should be using Database Logins using SQL Server authentication on your SQL Server.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Thanks Luc for the explanation.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • tlarsontlarson Member Posts: 27
    Depending exactly on your needs, you might be able to make use of the runas command in Windows. It's a command line utility that you can use to run an application in Windows as another user on the domain. It will allow you to start finsql as a different user, and then finsql will pass that other users credentials through to SQL server.

You could create a batch file that takes in a username from the user, then passes that into the runas command, which would then prompt for the password, which would then start Nav.

Tim

Resources:
    RunAs - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 90994.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676