Options

Nav 2009 vs 5.0Sp1. performance

JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
edited 2009-12-17 in SQL Performance
Hi,

I have simple question about performance in NAV 2009 with New client (RTC i think).
Is it working faster than standard client in NAV 5.o SP1? I mean, If some report generate 30 minute can I expect it will be faster?

Answers

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    No, it will be at least three times slower on the RTC.
  • Options
    JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    Thanks, In my country 2009 is not released yet. Can You explain a little why it is so slow? All operation is executed on the server, so i think it has to be faster.
  • Options
    All operations is handled by C# .net code instead of good old C++. This seems to make it slower.

On top of that the report engine creates a (sort of) xml files that is rendered in RDLC on the client.

Don't get me wrong please, I love the new client and technology, but don't expect new technology to be faster than the old. That is a common mistake.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have always wondered why the fascination with xml. It is derived from the EDI concept of metadata. It is inherently inefficient because of all the tags.
    Imagine a world where everyone had their own bus and used it every day for driving to work. Buses are good for their intended use, not every possible use.
    XML is the same - good for sendling unstructured data to an unknown program that can use the tags to do the job where nothing is known in advance about the originating data.
  • Options
    Aiai, please don't get me wrong, it might not be xml. I don't exactly know the format.