A few questions regarding 2009 (6.0) conversion

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
I have a customer running 4.03 in a non sql environment. It is a retailer and we designed and coded massive amounts of custom forms and reports for Inventory Control and distribution with hooks into the PO system, Transfers, etc..... Tons of custom code on form buttons.

They also use average costing and quite frankly, it works, but it is too slow. Database size is about 70 gig.

They want to upgrade and we can take them to 5.1 or 6.0.

My questions:
1)If we take them to 6.0 classic, do they have to run on SQL, or can they still run native? Any thoughts?
2)Does average costing work any better on 6.0 than it did on 5.1.... Any significant differences or changes. Any thoughts?
3)I figure with as much custom code on forms that they have, we need to go to classic. Is that correct? Any thoughts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
Scott aka SLOWHANDFAN

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    1)If we take them to 6.0 classic, do they have to run on SQL, or can they still run native? Any thoughts?
    There is no problem using native with the 6.0 classic client. I would actually be more concerned if you said you would switch to SQL. Then 5SP1 might be better, as it still seems MS releases more SQL related hotfixes for 4SP3 and 5SP1 than for 6.0 – properly because most key customers are using these versions. They hardly release anything for the Native db - MS are doing what they can to kill it...
    Regards
    Peter
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    pdj wrote:
    There is no problem using native with the 6.0 classic client. I would actually be more concerned if you said you would switch to SQL. Then 5SP1 might be better, as it still seems MS releases more SQL related hotfixes for 4SP3 and 5SP1 than for 6.0 – properly because most key customers are using these versions. They hardly release anything for the Native db - MS are doing what they can to kill it...
    Or Maybe the Native db works and doesn't need as many hot fixes, that is also a possibility :D