Posting Descrition

almhansenalmhansen Member Posts: 117
Can anyone tell me how I can change the Posting Description that automatically fills in when entering a Purchase Invoice? Right now the auto fill is giving me the system generated invoice number, but I'd rather have the Vendor Name and Vendor Invoice number populated into the field, so that later when we are looking at the g/l account detail the description makes more sense to the average user.

Thanks!

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    On the sales header or the purchase header, just change the Posting Description field. You will need to add this field using the form designer.
  • manluemanlue Member Posts: 30
    Hi, in table Sales Header and Purchase Header - Table Object there is a function "InitRecord". In this function the Field "Posting Description" is filled. Change here.
  • almhansenalmhansen Member Posts: 117
    Thank you for the great responses. I apologize if I seem slow, but can you tell me how to access the table object to see the "InitRecord" function? I am new and learning this as I go.... thanks again!
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    From Menu on Top

Tools->Object designer->Tables->#36 (Sales Header) & #38 (Purchase Header)->Click Design->This will reveil the fields. Field #22 (Posting description)->View->Properties.

If your new please Download->Print & Read the Application Designers Guide & Be careful if you don't know what you're doing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
    w1w1adg.pdf
    Savatage wrote:
    From Menu on Top

Tools->Object designer->Tables->#36 (Sales Header) & #38 (Purchase Header)->Click Design->This will reveil the fields. Field #22 (Posting description)->View->Properties.

If your new please Download->Print & Read the Application Designers Guide & Be careful if you don't know what you're doing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
    w1w1adg.pdf

Savatage -

Thank you. I am in the process of downloading and reading the guide. I do not plan on doing many development / designer things in the future so I am wondering if you could walk me thru this particular process? I'd like to change the autofill from what it currently is to the vendor name & invoice number.

Thanks again.
    edited 2009-12-15
    please note that the "Source No" in the gl entries is your Customer or Vendor or etc. etc.

all they have to do is have that field showing & click on it to get the info you say you are looking for.

I don't think changing the Initvalue to a specific field will work (just guessing Not Tried)
    I would have thought of adding code to the header table on validate of the Bii-To customer # or something along those lines.
    Savatage wrote:
    please note that the "Source No" in the gl entries is your Customer or Vendor or etc. etc.

all they have to do is have that field showing & click on it to get the info you say you are looking for.

The problem is that when we look at the General Ledger Entries there is no "Source No", just that posting description, which isn't very helpful.
    almhansen wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

The problem is that when we look at the General Ledger Entries there is no "Source No", just that posting description, which isn't very helpful.

Go to the Ledger Entries Right Click on the Header Column -> Show Column -> Check off Source No.
    Savatage wrote:
    almhansen wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

Go to the Ledger Entries Right Click on the Header Column -> Show Column -> Check off Source No.

I have already tried that. It isn't there as an option.
    edited 2009-12-15
    What form # are you looking at I find it hard to believe the Source No is not available on G/L Entries :-k
    It should be easily addable if it's not.

Anyway, By adding the Posting Description to the sales or puchase header - you will be able to manually change it's contents to anything you want.

Above I gave steps to get to the init value as stated above by someone. But i really think this will have to be coded and unless you have a proper license you will not be able to do so, so the manual way is at least one "already" working option.

PS : check out this similar post on how they solved the problem
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22230
    When I go into the COA and click on an account, it opens the general ledger entry table. At this point I right click to choose columns and "Source No" is not available. See the pic below. I believe I have to add "Source No" as an option in designer to the general ledger form. How do I do that?
    PS : check out this similar post on how they solved the problem
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22230
  • manluemanlue Member Posts: 30
    Hi guys!

I don't understand what you are discussing about... I thought only field "Posting Description" in Table "Sales Header" and "Purchase Header" should be filled in another way like standard. As a german user I look at the code in Function "InitRecord" in the Table "Sales Header" or "Purchase Header" and see that there the Field "Posting Description" (that's what is given as description in G/L Entries) is filled like
    "Posting Description" := FORMAT("Document Type") + ' ' + "No.";

I'm not sure it's equal in your version but I think this should be. I'm not talking about changing properties of the field...

If you find the code (Object Designer / Table / 36-Sales Header or 38-Purchase Header / Click "Design" / -> Table opens and you see the field list / Click "View" in MenuBar and select "C/AL Code" / Search for Function "InitRecord") you may deactivate (Put "//" at the beginning of the line) the standard code line and add new code line:
    "Posting Description" := "Sell-to Customer No." + ' ' + "No.";

That's all I think what is to do.