Usage of dimensions

sriram_venkatsriram_venkat Member Posts: 129
Hi

I have a prospect who has one legal entity (One company) but with various business units like Retail, Transportation, Real estate etc. (They have a single Balance sheet). I am planning to use these various business units as Global Dimension -1 so that any transaction that he makes in the application should be attached to any one of these BU's.

If incase tomorrow if these BU's are to be treated as seperate companies within NAV, how difficult is it to pull the records from these respective BU's dimension values and put into the seperate company?

Please let me know the feasibility...

Thanks

Comments

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    This depends on how effectively you are using the dimension assignments and how accurate your dimension posting is, otherwise you will endup extracting incorrect data while separating companies.
    You can anyways extract the G/L balances, other ledger balances etc. as per the Global dimensions.
    Item entries has to be taken into special consideration while just using global dimension, and not separate locations.
    Documents must bear correct dimension everytime they are posted to extract accurate open and closed document data.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • ElenaNAVElenaNAV Member Posts: 9
    Hello,
    You could keep using the companies as dimensions... With a little help for adjusting the automatic monthly/annual closings for each dimension you shouldn't have any problem.
    You have to put that dimension with a mandatory code for each G/L account. If you have a document for more than one company you'll have to split it in NAV.
    When you want a financial situation for one specific company, you just have to run a report with the filter. If you want a consolidated status, you run the report without a filter.
    We use this approach for about 3 years and it works great.