Delay in Performance in Serials

Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
Dear Sir/Madam,

When I Try To fill Automatic serial numbers in the item tracking lines window for quantity of 2000 units of an item the system takes more than 10 minutes to assign the serial and lot no.,in usual work the quantity will be larger than this as a usual(ex. 30000,100000 or larger) which make the system not responding. note that we use "customized serial number" function in the item tacking lines window to assign serial and lot nos,

please advice

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    you can add a dialog window that shows the progress.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Dr_mjhDr_mjh Member Posts: 203
    Dear ara3n,

Thank you for your reply.

Imagine that you made a PO of 300,000 qty. and when you try to create serial nos. for them the system takes about 10 min./2,000 qty. therefore, it would take 25 hours to do it and if you wish to view it would take another 25 hours and when you post the order it would take another 25 hours does a progress message would make you feel any better?! [-X I guess not :whistle:

any more ideas? any body?

Best Regards
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Imagine that 10,000 lines with serial numbers would lead to at least 10,000 lines for Item Ledger,
    10,000 for Value Entry, Item application Entries and more, not counting dimensions.

All this within a single transaction...
    Such a transaction will never be "fast".
    Since there is also customization then things get even more complicated.

Start by Optimizing your tables.

Tell us which version you are using.

A window showing your progress would inform the users of the status, but it would slow the process down if it gets updated too often.

Search this forum for optimization / performance and you will find a lot of info on where to get started.

(Hardware setup, Database Setup, Client monitor to see what is happening, Indexes, Optimization, Sift fields and so on...)

Start by examining / optimizing table 337 which holds the tracking entries of your order.
    Dear Kapamarou,

Thank you for your kind reply. I use Nav 2009. the thing is that the users are x-Oracle which they claim that it deals with such quantities in acouple of minutes. thus how am I supposed to tell them that it will never be fast. Even Microsoft admits that there too many validation on this code i.e.: they know that this code needs optimization but they are willing to do it.

and in the meanwhile I'm stuch in the middle.

Any other ideas?

Best Regards
    Sorry about that. but they are not willing to do it.
    When you say x-Oracle what do you mean? A custom application or Oracle ERP?
    Each system works differently.

Are you a developer? How comfortable are you with Nav?

I would start by optimizing my Database (if this is something that is not performed very often) and then I would continue with what I always suggest. Use the client monitor to see where you face performance issues.

Also you cannot expect specific suggestions with such little info.

You could tell us your exact setup, hardware and software.
    How many users are working concurrently?
    What customization do you have on your Item Tracking part?
    How often do you have such large transactions?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I am having difficulty understanding why you would have 300,000 serial numbers that you mention. Even the 10,000, how do you plan to handle them? Is this maybe just one of those things the customer always had in the old system, so they just want in the new system?

personally if I had a business reason for this, I would just create a couple of new tables and build a very simple serial number system from scratch. There is no way the Navision serial number system will do what you need.
    David Singleton
    Dear David,

We have P.O's for quantities like 300,000 for items like CPE's and sim cards and we want to be able to make traceability for all of them so yes there is a business reason for this. Can you further exaplain what you suggested as an alternative to standard Navision serial feature?

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Best Regards
    Dr mjh wrote:
    Can you further exaplain what you suggested as an alternative to standard Navision serial feature?

I don't think that there is a specific suggestion here. It could be anyway you see best and fitting your needs.

For example it could mean changing the way Entries with serials are posted, moving the serial no. information to a new table etc. Anything you can design and implement.

The difference would be in weather it would produce the expected results and the effort that you are going to invest in such a task...