Performance problem after virtualization NAV 4.0

bugs07bugs07 Member Posts: 2
Hello everybody!

Since we are running Navision V4.0 on a virtual server we are facing some performance problems; e.g. when we are typing in an item with a parts list behind into the order entry form the system is extremly slow.

Does anybody have an idea how to speed up the system?

Find next some information about our virtual machine:
- VMware ESX 3.5 with all updates until 15.11.2009
- ESX-Cluster consist of 3 ESX Hosts, (HP ProLiant BL480c G1 with 8 Intel Xeon (E5345) CPU x 2.333 GHz and 20GB RAM)
- ESX Datastore is a MSA2000 with 12 x 300GB SAS (RAID5) connected via fibre.
- On 3 hosts are running 17 VirtualMachines.
- Navision-VirtualMachine: Windows Server 2003 R2, 2 vCPU, 3000MB RAM,.

Find next some information about Navision:
- Version 4.00 SP2 (4.0 SP2)
- DB size: 20 GB
- DB Occupancy: 67% (13.4 GB)
- DBMS Cache (KB): 750'000
- Commit Cache: yes
- Object Cache: 32'000

Best regards
Remo

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    There are just sooo many issues that its not something you can give a simple answer to.

Native server is very light on CPU, and is not capable of using more than a gig or RAM, so i would reduce the CPU to one, and the ram to about 1.5gig. You need to be certain that the RAM and CPU are on the same machine, but other than that you should be fine. So the most likely issue is the drives. 12 drives on RAID 5? How are they configured? I can't think of what divides into 12? is it 11+1 or 2x5+1 or 3x3+1 either way it does not seem enough spindles for Navision and the other 16 machines.

i would concentrate on the SAN and how you are representing the LUNs to Navision.
    David Singleton
  • quidammquidamm Member Posts: 12
    I understand that RAID 5 is a terrible option for Navision.

viewtopic.php?t=11263&highlight=raid++performance
    The problem's usually between the chair and the keyboard!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Never use RAID 5 on any ERP database!!
    Even better : NEVER use RAID5.
    The only exceptions are:
    -your DB is readonly (or almost readonly)
    -you don't care about performance but need space (like having all your customers DB's on 1 server!).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    RAID5 or RAID6 can work perfectly on certain systems. I worked on a large system together with David Singleton that runs on RAID5 and VMWare.

I would start investigating using the VMWare tools and see where the bottleneck is.