For David Studebaker about the book...

FakerulesFakerules Member Posts: 50
Sir,

I want to know that you write two books....

1. Programming Microsoft Dynamics Nav
2. Programming Microsoft Dynamics Nav 2009

Which one should we study first..
and are both these like the same thing...

Please tell I am confused making decision to buy which one.
Please elaborate a little.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Those books are written by David Studebaker, not David Singleton. Very much different people.

The first book is written for 5.0, the second obviously for 2009. Read the one that best fits the version of the product you will be working with.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    :mrgreen: you might want to edit the Subject of this thread.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
  • FakerulesFakerules Member Posts: 50
    Apologies for the subject,
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Wouldn't it be better to just PM him directly? :-k

Well it would be easier for them, But personally I'd rather see what Dave has to say on this. I have not seen the new book yet, and am very interested on where it fits, i.e. is it an update or a completely new book.
    David Singleton
  • davesdaves Member Posts: 49
    So sorry to be so slo-o-ow in responding. Have had many life challenges in the past few months, but getting back to normal now.

The book Programming Microsoft Dynamics V5.0 focuses on development for the Classic Client. Its contents apply to developing in NAV 2009 (or any version, to a large extent) when the Classic Client is the target.

The book Programming Microsoft Dynamics V2009 focuses on development for the Role Tailored Client (RTC). About a third of the book repeats what the first book covered since much of the informaiton on tables, fields and codeunits is the same. There wasn't room to simply keep all the original material and add everything needed for the RTC so I had to make judgement calls about what to keep and what to drop out.

Since we still have to do development within the Classic Client and since some of the debugging is still most easily done in the Classic Client, there is material that is only in the first book you may find useful even when you are targeting only the RTC. I apologize for that but, if you consider your time has value, it's still cheaper to purchase both books than it is to spend the time to find out all the information contained by experimentation or by searching for it elsewhere. Since most of us who support customers have to work with both versions, most of us will find useful information in both books. I say that on the basis that even though I wrote the books, I also use them as reference.
    Dave Studebaker
    Co-Founder Liberty Grove Software
    Author: Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV (V5.0), 2009, 2013