Using Automation DataType with RTC

eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
edited 2009-12-08 in NAV Three Tier
In the classic client, I have been using Excel Automation Datatype in order to do some exporting to Excel. I use this instead of the Excel Buffer specifically to make it easier to stick formulas into Excel Cells (like =(A2+B4+C6) / 3) instead of dumping a hard coded value into the Excel dump.

This runs great in the Classic client, but when I add it to a page and try to run it in the RTC I get the following error:

"This message is for C/AL programmers: Unable to create an instance of Automation Server Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass with CLSID = 00024500-0000-0000-0c000-000000000046 Retrieving the Com class factory for component with CLSID {000024500-0000-0000-C000-0000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80070005.."

So ... is this something that no longer works when using the RTC?

Comments

• eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
    I have answered my own issue - it seems I can collect the cell information using the ExcelBuffer functionality. But I would be intersted in knowing if teh automation objects can be used with the RTC at all.
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Automation objects works just fine with the RTC and you can select whether you want them to be loaded on the Service Tier or the Client Tier.

CREATE(var) or CREATE(var, TRUE) - creates on Service Tier.
    CREATE(var, TRUE, TRUE) - creates on the Client Tier.

I don't know whether this can be the problem.

I think there are some types (don't know which) which are not supported on RTC and events are not supported either.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.