Mail logging security question

brokenbottlebrokenbottle Member Posts: 5
I was hoping someone here could answer a question on mail logging security for me. Thanks in advance for reading.

We've got mail logging setup for a customer using the message archival method (the per user rules option was deemed to cumbersome for them). The problem that we've come across is that the contents of the Storage public folder that retains all the mail is visable to everyone. That's problematic for obvious reasons. The problem is that I'm not certain how to adjust the permissions on that folder so that the contents are secure but the mail in it is still accessible to Navision users as would be appropriate. I've fiddled with permissions but I either break the mail logging (mail doesn't get placed in the folder) or the accessibility from Navision. What's the trick here? Is there a particular way to set the permissions on that folder to achieve the results we're seeking or is "all your mail is now public" an inherent feature?

thanks for your help

Comments

• brokenbottlebrokenbottle Member Posts: 5
    A little more information if it's of any assistance:

They're running Exchange on an SBS 2003 server and NAV 5.0 SP1. I realize that this is an Exchange configuration issue, or rather an issue with the way Exchange's public folder security interacts with the NAV mail logging. I was hoping that someone else out there might have Outlook Integration / Mail Logging running out there and have some advice to offer. I'm pretty sure thatmy customer's desires run in opposition to the way the product is built but I was hoping someone out there might have some suggestions to offer.
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Have you considered the permissions of the NAS user? That holds the credentials that are used for Reading and Deleting in the Queue folder and Inserting into the Storage folder.
    Regards
    Peter
    pdj wrote:
    Have you considered the permissions of the NAS user? That holds the credentials that are used for Reading and Deleting in the Queue folder and Inserting into the Storage folder.

The Queue is less of a problem than the Storage folder where all the mail ends up. If we could set that up so it was accessible via Navision but not generally viewable that would be ideal. The problem is that, if I understand the way the mail storage works, when someone tried to pull up a logged mail from Navision, it uses the NAV user's permissions to get into the storage folder. Is that correct?
    Sorry, I just logged into their system and clarified something. All mail is getting placed in Queue and then getting moved to Storage, not just the logged mail. I think that's the heart of the issue. Is that the way it's supposed to work? If it were just the logged mail getting moved to Storage, then there wouldn't be an issue because the logged mail wouldn't private.
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Someone must have modified the code. It should simply delete mails in the queue folder, when it decides not to log them.
    Regards
    Peter