CALCDATE Multilanguage Problem

Betrachter84Betrachter84 Member Posts: 62
Hi

I have a problem concerning the function Calcdate and multilingual dateformula variables.

There is a editable textbox on the request form of a report.

- SourceExpr: PeriodLength
- Data type of the variable PeriodLength: DateFormula
- String entered in textbox on report start: 2Y if im running it in english, 2J if im running it in german

Later i use the PeriodLength variable in a CALCDATE function like this:

CALCDATE('<+1D->' + FORMAT(PeriodLength),WORKDATE);

If i'm running the report with application lanquage english, there is no problem. If i'm running it in any other language a runtime error occurs reporting, that the date expression i entered '2J' was not valid. Omitting the string '<+1D->' solves the problem even in german, but then the result of the CALCDATE function ain't the same anymore...

I tried a lot allready like using PeriodLength without Format(), with <> around it. Nothing worked.

Is there maybe a trick i don't know? i'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with taht problem.
Thanks in advance!

Answers

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Not a developer but these post addressed the issues of changing language and solved it

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31755&hilit=date+language

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35713&hilit=date+language

Main issue seemed to be
    kine wrote:
    mb6606 wrote:

Do not forget to add '<' and '>' around the string before passing it to the CALCDATE, else you will have problems when you switch client into another language.
  • Betrachter84Betrachter84 Member Posts: 62
    it's not exactly the same.

my problem concerns the usability of the hard-coded string '<+1D->' and the dateformula variable PeriodLength in the same CALCDATE function...

might storing the string '<+1D->' in another dateformula variable be a possibility?
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Store it simply in a multilanguage TextConstant, ENU: +1D, DEU: +1T etc. (I think the <, > and - are not really necessary).

Also, if you are trying summarize posts until the end of the year or two years with a 2Y+1D trick, that's not really a good way to do it, you should rather be using CLOSINGDATE((CALCDATE...)) (look it up in the C/SIDE help). CLOSINGDATE(today) is that "magic" date that's later than today but earlier than tomorrow.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Or don't hard code it. Store the value in a setup form somewhere.
  • Betrachter84Betrachter84 Member Posts: 62
    Store it simply in a multilanguage TextConstant, ENU: +1D, DEU: +1T etc. (I think the <, > and - are not really necessary).

Thaks, that was the solution.
    A "language-neutral" DateFormula variable a string in any language different from english in the same calcdate expression was the problem. with two multilanguage strings it works.