Options

Navision 4 Graphical Interface

jemmyjemmy Member Posts: 247
Dear Folks,

Since I haven't see Navision 4, can anyone show me the url to look at Navision 4 Graphical Interface. I'm so curious to know it, (I read that it looked like Office 2003?). :wink:

Thank to you all.

Jemmy

Comments

• Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Hello Jemmy,

don't think it is a big redesign. The only thing they did is put a navigation pane on the left side of the screen as a replacement of the old navision form menu's. The rest of the User Interface is still the same. The advantage is that the menu docks on the left side so it is always visible (it won't be covered by other open forms. The disadvantage is that i will have a little less room left for all other windows .. :roll:

Just look at outlook 2003 and the navigation pane (wich is standard on the left of the application) and you will get an idea how it looks.

Regards,
    Jan-Pieter
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    Hi Jan-Pieter

Thanks for your reply.
    Are you sure? :shock: I'm quite disappointed if the changes are only in the main menu. :(
    I hope it will do lot changes since there's a competitor software on its level like SAP Business One. Its graphical interface is quite excellent... with a lot of colour gradations.. :?

Can you give me a screen shot of Navision 4 to my email address at jemmy@sentonius.com?

HTH,

Jemmy
  • Options
    Tim81Tim81 Member Posts: 68
    edited 2004-10-14
    I made a screenshot for you. Navision 4.0 will look like this.

High Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_1.jpg
    Low Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_2.jpg

I don't like the new navigation pane, but I don't like the Outlook navigation, too. The Navision navigation pane also is not that functional the outlook menu is.
    The advantage is that the menu docks on the left side so it is always visible (it won't be covered by other open forms. The disadvantage is that i will have a little less room left for all other windows ..
    That is nearly correct. But you can hide the navigation pane (ALT+F1) so you can use the full window. The reason why MS changed this concept is, that more than 80% of the customers uses the full-screen mode. So it is more useful to have the menu always visible.
  • Options
    dijconadijcona Member Posts: 8
    Hmm, have had a play with it and you better buy a monitor that can handle a decent resolution. Anything less than 1280x1024 and you will be scrolling all over the place. Not all that convinced IMHO, there appear to be a few new granules but to a large extent it looks like 3.70 with a new menu.

Regards
    Meint
  • Options
    dijcona wrote:
    Hmm, have had a play with it and you better buy a monitor that can handle a decent resolution. Anything less than 1280x1024 and you will be scrolling all over the place.
    Is there any professional user who has a lower res than that? I had a try at 1024x768 and had to scroll a bit but not to much. Anyway: I edited my post and added an low res version of the pic, but it is a problem to resize pictures containing text. But I think I solved the problem with the new low res pics.
    Not all that convinced IMHO, there appear to be a few new granules but to a large extent it looks like 3.70 with a new menu.
    That's the point. It's not that much new. They made a new navigation pane with a new structure, and added just some features to the standard, that many developers already coded for their customers.

But there are two nice optical new features. You could make it also in 3.70, but it wouldn't be "style guide" compliant and for the second thing you have to spend hours for coding. Have a look (and you will see at the low res pics, that it is highly recommended to use a resolution of 1024x768 for Navision 4.0 at least):

1) New style guidelines:
    High Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_3.jpg
    Low Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_4.jpg

2) New bar charts:
    High Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_5.jpg
    Low Res: http://web0.eco1027.netclusive.de/nav40_6.jpg

And here are some new granules I took from the price list:
    General Ledger
    Inter-company Postings (version 4.00 or later only)
    Inventory
    Analysis Reports (version 4.00 or later only)
    Item Budgets (version 4.00 or later only)
    Capacity Planning
    Production Schedule (version 4.00 or later only)
    Business Notification
    Business Notification (version 4.00 or later only)
    Business Notification Worksheet (version 4.00 or later only)
    Business Analytics
    Business Analytics Base Functionality (version 4.00 or later only)
    Business Analytics Advanced (version 4.00 or later only)
    Design
    XML Port Designer (version 4.00 or later only)

Of course there are some new features for developers, but I won't list them here now. If anybody is interested: make a post.

Tim81
  • Options
    My laptop screen has a max resolution of 800x1024 :(

These bars, if you import those objects in another navision version they would work as well wouldn't they? It is not really a new technical thing navision can do. Or am i wrong?
  • Options
    Yes, they work if you import them. I made a test just now. You have to do some adjustments for some forms, but the "Opportunities Bar Chart" works at first go (in Navision 3.70A).

It's just very complex if you would code it by yourself. So be grateful.
  • Options
    well, true it is complex code.

We've developed embedded controls to display charts so it is not of a lot of use to us.
  • Options
    Guys,

Many Thanks, it really help me to imagine how my navision will be in the next year.... 8)

Best Regards,

Jemmy
  • Options
    crackjackcrackjack Member Posts: 17
    The navigation pane is a rip off of SAP Business One. I think the original menu screen was slightly better in that it was easier to get to something. Although the shortcuts do help but I like a menu where I dont have to go down folders like windows explorer, especially if there are subfolders.

That's my initial reaction within the first few hours of playing with it. It is uncanny how two ERP systems look alike now. It does seem more graphically appealing at first.

BTW, I am not a fan of SAP Business One. Navision is clearly a better product in my eyes even with its shortcomings.
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    I also miss standard menus very much.
    Organization of links over area had an additional info. It is similar as you open a refirigerator and you already know where to pick a beer...
    It seems this is the cost of bringing all MBS applications closer.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    TechnosTechnos Member Posts: 4
    Is there any differences in C/AL? What's new? What about .NET ? Where can I get developer documentation about N4 programming?
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    check these demos - they show the new interface