Problem registering ActiveEditor on Windows 7 64 bit

sresre Member Posts: 62
Hi all,

we've been using Active Editor (http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=60) for a while and we're quite happy with that. So we would like keep using it in the future. I've upgraded my machine to Windows 7 (64 bit) and I've got a problem now when I try to register the OCX (using regsvr32).

The error message says something like "Error when loading module "ActiveEditor.ocx". Please make sure that the binaries are available at the path specified, or debug the file to eliminate problems with the binaries or depending DLLs. The module specified couldn't be found."

(original German message says "Fehler beim Laden des Moduls "ActiveEditor.ocx". Stellen Sie sicher, dass die Binärdatei am angegebene Pfad gespeichert ist, oder debuggen Sie die Datei, um Probleme mit der binären Datei oder abhängigen DLL-Dateien auszuschließen. Das angegeben Modul wurde nicht gefunden.")

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 7 problem, a 64 bit problem or whatever. If it were a 64bit problem, is there a way to make old OCXs work? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sascha

P.S.: Not sure if this is the right place in the forum. Admins may feel free to move this thread to the appropriate section. Thanks.

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    It is the correct place.

I've had the same problem (with another dll or ocx) on Windows 2008. The solution was to put it NOT in the Windows\system directory but in the windows\system32 subdirectory and then register it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• sresre Member Posts: 62
    kriki wrote:
    The solution was to put it NOT in the Windows\system directory but in the windows\system32 subdirectory and then register it.
    Thanks for your reply kriki but it seems like this doesn't help in my case. To be precise I already had placed the ocx in the system32 directory before I posted my request here. Maybe ActiveEditor is refering to "something" which is not available on Win 7 64 bit?

Does any one else still use this tool or has some experience with ocx on Win 7 64 bit?

Thanks
    Sascha
  • sresre Member Posts: 62
    OK, I finally found a solution (a little applause for myself =D> ).

All credits go to google and this forums post here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ... 63f71a2d8/ (see post from Jochan, Sunday, June 05, 2005)

Basically kriki was right. It's important to place the ocx/dll in the right folder. But it's not system32! On a 64 bit system (at least on my Windows 7) the system32 folder contains the 64 bit EXEs! All 32 bit EXEs are stored in a folder called sysWOW64. That folder contains a regsvr32 as well so in my case the solution was to call regsvr32 ActiveEditor.ocx. (btw: when you do that make sure to open the command line as Administrator, even when you're logged on with an admin account - otherwise it won't work).

Maybe this is helpful for someone else in the future ...

Sascha
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Great follow up Sascha, thanks for taking the time to update us :thumbsup: