Error while opening database

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi

We have noticed a strange behaviour of hotcopy. Tested with Navision 4.0 SP1, Classic and Navision 5.0 Classic.

When hotcopy was the only user logged in in the the database at the time of beginning with the hotcopy process, all subsequent users get this error:
"This function cannot be executed while the database is being used by other users."

When hotcopy was not the only user logged in in the database at the time of beginning with the hotcopy process, everything works as expected.

It looks like hotcopy locks up the whole db if it's the only user. Did anybody experience the same behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Are you sure you connect to the DB through its service and not directly by opening the files.

It sounds this problem although I am not sure hotcopy can connect directly to the DB-files without using the DBservice.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi Alain
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm sure. I can reproduce it. ](*,)
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Success!
    From w1w1ism.pdf:
    "Furthermore, if HotCopy is the first 'user' to connect to the server it will place an exclusive lock on the database and no other users will be allowed to login while HotCopy is running. This is done for performance reasons.
    If other users are already logged on the server, HotCopy runs as an ordinary session.
    HotCopy will then apply the version principle and copy its own version of the database.
    Running HotCopy as a session places a greater burden on the server."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ta5 wrote:
    Success!
    From w1w1ism.pdf:
    "Furthermore, if HotCopy is the first 'user' to connect to the server it will place an exclusive lock on the database and no other users will be allowed to login while HotCopy is running. This is done for performance reasons.
    If other users are already logged on the server, HotCopy runs as an ordinary session.
    HotCopy will then apply the version principle and copy its own version of the database.
    Running HotCopy as a session places a greater burden on the server."

That's actually pretty important information to know. Of course I don't use Native anymore, but years ago it would have been nice to know that hot copy does this.

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
    David Singleton