Can't paste from Excel

IBAUCLAPlayaIBAUCLAPlaya Member Posts: 5
I'm working in Navision 4.00 SP2 (5.0 SP1) in the Deposits section.

I have data in an excel spreadsheet...I want to be able to take column A of the spreadsheet and paste it in the "Document No." field. Usually this is 25 records long. I also want to take column B of the spreadsheet and paste it in the "Amount" field. And finally I want to be able to take column C of the spreadsheet and paste it into the "Invoice No. Filter" field.

I found that it doesn't let me post an entire column, only one cell. Also when I paste one cell from excel, it adds two square characters at the end.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,
    Matt

No.

You need to write some code, you could use and automation, the excel buffer or web services, to name three options. There are more.
    David Singleton
  • IBAUCLAPlayaIBAUCLAPlaya Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or authority to do this. How difficult/time consuming of a task would this be? Our IT department has been pushing this off for months and from an outsider view, I can't see that this would be extremely difficult or time consuming.

I have another question...in this same deposit screen, I have the ability to upload multiple checks. Is there a way to apply a group of 25 checks to the deposit, or is the only option really to go line by line applying one check at a time.

Thanks.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Why do you have to paste the data? Why not just import it using a Dataport or XMLPort? That would take considerably less work than developing a solution to paste from Excel into NAV.
    I don't have to paste the data. I'm just trying to think of a simple solution to save time and money. Let me back up a step and explain the problem.

Each day we have to do between 50 and 100 deposit batches. Each batch has about 25 checks in it.

As it stands right now, we are either uploading the batch of 25 checks, then applying each check individually as follows:
    From deposit screen - Shift+F7 to show checks. Click on check to apply and hit apply. Esc out of results screen. Now back on deposit screen, move down a line and repeat this 25 times over. Between the time it takes to upload the 25 checks into Navision and applying them all, this takes between 7-10 minutes per batch. Basically this is a full time job for a very manual process.

In my opinion, the optimal way to do this would be to have the ability to apply a group of checks to a single deposit all at once. Unfortunately, we do not have this ability right now.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    Hi,
    I would try to import the missing data with RIM. I am not sure NAV 4.0 has RIM.
    Can you check whether you have RIM embedded?
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Sounds like you've identified a process that needs to be improved, and when it is you can help your company save a lot of money. If you are not the decision maker in your company, you need to bring this to your boss's attention. If you play your cards right, it might be a first step for you to take more responsibility.

They need to know what it would cost to implement any improvements, and what benefits it would give them.

Write this up, describe the business problem, how it's done now, include some screenshots. Then describe how you'd like to improve this situation, and what benefits the company would get if those improvements are implemented. If you make a good enough case to your boss (stick to functional terms, don't try to use technical terms that you don't fully understand), I am certain that they would be happy to spend some money to get the partner involved and give you a proposal for modifying the system.
    That's what I'm trying to get...an estimate on how much time it would take to allow us to apply more than one check at a time.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You need to define the requirement, then your NAV partner will come up with a design to meet that requirement, and they will provide you with an estimate of how much it will cost. Mibuso is not the right place to get an estimate for your development needs.
  • ATAT Member Posts: 20
    Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or authority to do this.
    Look at myfoxtrot.com if you don´t want to code. It has nohing to do with Navision but it can automate your job.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    curious quiestion:

where are you getting the data in the excel sreadsheet from?
    a bank or is someone enering the data into excel first?

if someone is entering data into excel then by doing it directly in Nav it will save time by just doing it once.