Report 83: Change Global Dimensions will not complete

northernernortherner Member Posts: 67
Hi

I've set off report 83: Change Global Dimensions in a test environment to change Global Dimension 2. The estimated finishing date is 31/12/09 - 5 weeks away! In the meantime a SQL maintenance task will reindex the tables (many times) and, since the database is running SQL 2008 Standard edition which doesn't support online reindexing, the report will fail. The test server is of the same spec as the live server, so I don't expect it be any different in live.

Can anybody suggest how to change GD2 more quickly?

Many thanks

Answers

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    I'll Start asking some info you should always provide to have a faster help:
    How big is your db?what is navision version?is the report 83 personalized?how many concurrent users per day (more or less)

And now, this is the the "answer":
    you can't...if you do in a different way from what nav does, you'll probably avoid the business logic behind the renaming of global dimension.
    Why don't stop the reindexing for that timeframe(5 days)?You should Be sure it will not cause performance issues, and this can be guessed from size of db, medium db growth per day, no. of users using the db and other factors...
    I think that's the only way, but maybe someone has something better...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • northernernortherner Member Posts: 67
    Hi Belias

Thanks for your response, very remiss of me not to give that info; it's Nav 2009 SP1, classic client on SQL, 8.5GB database, 25 users, report 83 is "out of the box" - no customisations.

Anyhow, the issue turned out to be a non-issue; although the report started off saying it would run for 5 weeks, it actually finished in 3 hours - maybe the code that estimates the ending time could do with some tweaking :-)

Thanks
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    I thought you already tested the report :)
    anyway, i would have answered: "5 weeks for a 8.5GB database?!?Impossible! :)"
    have a nice day
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    northerner wrote:
    Hi Belias

Thanks for your response, very remiss of me not to give that info; it's Nav 2009 SP1, classic client on SQL, 8.5GB database, 25 users, report 83 is "out of the box" - no customisations.

Anyhow, the issue turned out to be a non-issue; although the report started off saying it would run for 5 weeks, it actually finished in 3 hours - maybe the code that estimates the ending time could do with some tweaking :-)

Thanks
    Do not forgot that the assumption could be wrong at beginning, when the cache is not "warmed up" etc. - same like windows copy dialog assumptions... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.