DB SIZE

SBNSBN Member Posts: 26
Hello experts,
My DB size on SQL is 100GB,when I make buckup and restore on CSIDE DB this size is reduced to 20GB.

Please I want explanation for this.

Best Regards

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    SQL includes log file as well. That is one of the reason , in addition u cud have searched I think now Mibuso must be having atleast 50+ posts on db size.
    Kapil Khanna
  • SBNSBN Member Posts: 26
    Thank you kapil4dynamics for the answer and advice.
    I will make a search on this topic.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    SBN wrote:
    Hello experts,
    My DB size on SQL is 100GB,when I make buckup and restore on CSIDE DB this size is reduced to 20GB.

Please I want explanation for this.

Best Regards

The DB size is as big as you make it. Whats is important is how much database is used. Go to File Database Information and see there how much you are actually using.
    David Singleton
  • hardik_shahhardik_shah Member Posts: 219
    No need to worry i was also facing same problem. It is due to logfile.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    It could be (not necessarily is) due to log size.

BTW: The same approach is with native database. You could make it initially 100GB as well and restore NAV backup into it, couldn't you ?

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    To visualize the database file usage, you can run the Disk Usage report, it'll give you a pie chart of the files in use. Right click your database, Reports, Standard Reports, and select Disk Usage.
    Thanks to all,
    The DB size is as big as you make it. Whats is important is how much database is used. Go to File Database Information and see there how much you are actually using.

Firstly:When I said DB size was about 100GB on SQL and 20GB on Native ,I am speaking about the occupated size not the reserved ,according to DB information.
    Secondly:In few days I am going to restore the backup on SQL server,in order to compare the new size with the old.
    SBN wrote:
    Thanks to all,

Firstly:When I said DB size was about 100GB on SQL and 20GB on Native ,I am speaking about the occupated size not the reserved ,according to DB information.
    Secondly:In few days I am going to restore the backup on SQL server,in order to compare the new size with the old.

There will be differences in database used in SQL and Native, also they report he numebrs slightly differently, but I can to imagine a 5:1 difference. I think its more likely you made a mistake in the restore, like maybe some company missing, or common data. Best is to make a FULL backup from the Native DB and restore that one to a new SQL. And see what happens.
    David Singleton
    Hello,
    I made a backup and restore on SQL new db and the result was :the db size decreases from 120GB to 38GB. :?:

Any help...
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    It could be the default fill factor on the database.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Step one for me would be to figure outthe actual size of the database.

Go File Database Information
    hit the TABLES button and copy paste into excel and add up the columns. This will show you have much data you have, which is a first starting point.

What is this number?
    David Singleton