Change product category code

JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
Hello,

I have tried to change an item's category code with no success: it says "You cannot change Costing Method because there are one or more ledger entries for this item."

I've been told that Standard Navision is making this check and it will not let me. My Nav knowledge is low but, I am trying to change an item's Category Code, not the Costing Method. Is this correct?

Is there any way to change a product's category code once it has item ledger entries?

Thanks in advance,
Josetxo

Answers

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Did the following in NAV cronus.

No items had an item catagory code. Item catagory codes have default set up including costing method.This will change costing method
    of your item if you select a new code with a different costing method.

What you should do is setup a new catagory code matching the Costing method your item currently uses, then the costing method will not change.

You are probably better off using product group code, creating a new one as they are subset of the item catagory code so costing info and posting info will stay the same
  • JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
    Hello Jannestig, thank you,

but the costing method is the same in both Category Codes (Average). And it does not allow changing it :(

Is there any other alternative (without re-classifying the items into product group code, since many of our reports rely on the Item Category Code)

Best regards,
    Josetxo
    Had no issue changing item code when costing methodology was the same. I replicated your error when i changed costing method.
    I tried creating a new code with entries blank except for Def costing method with i matched with the existing one. I then added the item catagory code with no issues.

Nav will only complain about changing the costing method. not the other fields.

It is possible someone changed the costing method when there was no open entries against the items.

Do it again checking the item costing method is equal to the item code default costing method.

What version of nav are you on ? I tested in 5.1 with no issues

Code Description Def. Gen. Prod. Posting Group Def. Inventory Posting Group Def. VAT Prod. Posting Group Def. Costing Method
    DIV Diverse DETALJ FÄRDIG INGEN MOMS Standard
    Hello,

sorry, now it works!
    Both Item Categories' Costing Method was the same (Average), and different from the item's costing method (FIFO).

I changed the costing method to Average on the item, it allowed me to change the category.
    BTW, it is version 4.0.

Many thanks,
    Josetxo
    You shouldn't have been able to just change the items cost method!!!!!!!!! #-o

Otherwise you should have gotten the error message again "You cannot change Costing Method because there are one or more ledger entries for this item."

You must have used a new item ?
    Sorry, I explained myself too badly:

I changed the Item Category's Costing Method (from Average to FIFO), from the item card (the item was FIFO).

Then Accepted and changed the Item to that Item Category.

And then changed the Item Category back to Average.

Sorry again. Is this OK?

Josetxo
    I think will have changed you item costing method back to FIFO again when it should be fifo if you clicked ok.

So you can do it your way as long as you make sure you click cancel or hit ESC otherwise you will get the wrong costing method for the item and all items that have that catagory

TO be honest next time you should probably use dimensions to do do your reporting. If you have changed a lot of reports to do this, then maybe consider this at next upgrade