Variables not showing in Debug Variables window

GaryDGaryD Member Posts: 66
Hello all,
We have NAV 5.0 SP1 using SQL Server 2005 as the database. We have an occasional issue where the variables we define do not show up in the variables window during debug. This SEEMS to be limited to local variables. Right now I've got a procedure that we've created a while back that I'm modifying. Every local variable that I created in that procedure today is excluded from the variables list in the debugger. The other developers in my company also cannot see these new variables either. And yes, I've looked at the All, Locals, and Globals tabs on the variables window - they are just not there. I've also tried recompiling, exporting and re-importing as text and fob, and even deleting the object then re-importing it. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I run into that sometimes too and don't know how or when it happens. I can only assume that it's a bug in the debugger that hopefully MSFT will fix sometime in the future.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Most of the time the debugger works, but sometimes it doesn't. I've "lost" variables many times, and just as they are lost, they re-appear without warning. Most of the time though you can see all of them in the 'All' tab. Most of the times, closing the debugger helps (I know some people like to leave it open all day). I've made it a habit of actually closing the debugger every time a single pass is done, so that objects have to be reloaded each time.

A reliable, stable, predictable, versatile debugger that always works has been my number one wish for the IDE for almost 10 years now. There is significant improvement since the 2.01 debugger, but it's still far from where it should be.
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    DenSter wrote:
    it's still far from where it should be.

Try the following in a blank form:

Declare SalesHeader as an array of size 2 of record Sales Header.

on open form write:

WITH salesHeader[1] DO BEGIN
    IF FIND('-') THEN REPEAT
    i += 1;
    i += 1;
    i += 1;
    i += 1;

UNTIL NEXT = 0;
    END;

Try and stop the debugger anywhere within the with .. end block.

or debug with step into....
    :whistle:
  • GaryDGaryD Member Posts: 66
    Well, not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the answers!