Sales Return Orders - Costing

KWevickKWevick Member Posts: 103
NAV 5.01SP - but from what I can see all releases.

When booking a Sales Return Order, if you use the copy function, you get the costing from the original sales line, which may or may not be correct depending on cost method used and inventory mix at the time of shipment. If you enter directly, you get the unit cost. This is really not much different than the Sales Order. HOWEVER, when you post the return, even with Specific Costing, the ILE and Value entries are at the value from the Sales Return Order Line, which can skew inventory. If we're going to the extent of using Specific Costing, I would think it would carry through from the SN.

Am I missing some setups here? I can understand that Average, FIFO, and LIFO could be challenged, but Specific? Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Thanks,

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    No at the time of returns u select Apply to Item entry from Item Tracking Lines but u will have to mention a new Serial no. , even if the cost is diff at time of posting them system will post the adjustment to make sure what went out comes back in same manner. Seems to be broken process but for costing works.
    Kapil Khanna
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Have you looked at exact cost reversing which ties in with Kapils point?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    KWevick wrote:
    NAV 5.01SP - but from what I can see all releases.

When booking a Sales Return Order, if you use the copy function, you get the costing from the original sales line, which may or may not be correct depending on cost method used and inventory mix at the time of shipment. If you enter directly, you get the unit cost. This is really not much different than the Sales Order. HOWEVER, when you post the return, even with Specific Costing, the ILE and Value entries are at the value from the Sales Return Order Line, which can skew inventory. If we're going to the extent of using Specific Costing, I would think it would carry through from the SN.

Am I missing some setups here? I can understand that Average, FIFO, and LIFO could be challenged, but Specific? Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Thanks,

Not necessarily. Some companies may want to reduce the value of the item being returned because it's used, defective, sent back in for repairs, etc.

Some of our customers wants the cost of the item to be returned to stock at the current cost. Some of our customers wants items to be returned to stock at the historical cost. The Unit Cost field on the return lines provide flexibility for that even if specific costing is used.