Connecting to Newer Database with Older client.

David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
I generally recommend 4.00 clients to run Build 26565 (4.00sp3 h6 CU9). Many Navision users I come across are on either 23305 (4.00sp3 no hotfixes) or 25143 (4.00sp3HF6) mainly because those were as some stage official releases from Microsoft.

Now one issue I have is that after you convert a database from 23305 to 26565 the database is updated from version 60 to version 63. But...

You can access a 63 server with either version 26565 (good) or with 23305 (bad).

Since the critical fixes in 63 related mainly to the SIFT triggers which are installed on the server, I assume that running the older client wont cause any problems, but what happens if you redesign a table or import a new table object with the old client into the new server.

Normally we would just delete all the old clients, but I have a client with many databases, and it will take many months to upgrade them all, so they need to have both clients installed.

Has anyone ever see any corruption or other database issues using 23305 client on a 63 server database?
David Singleton

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i've had this issue some time ago, maybe your problem has something similar with mine
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33171&hilit=database+version
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Belias wrote:
    i've had this issue some time ago, maybe your problem has something similar with mine
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33171&hilit=database+version

No, actually that issue you had is 100% what should happen, every client has a specific range of databases that it can access, but once a database is upgraded it should not be possible to access with an older client, this is what you were (correctly) seeing.

The issue here is that after upgrading the database to 60 you are still able to access with the 23305 client which should be impossible.

By the way if you need to know database versions, here is a list here

Database Version Numbers in NAV

and

NAV 4.00 SP3
    David Singleton
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    :-k ok, this is strange. Unfortunately i can't test it because i don't have build 23305 more...are you sure you can open the database with both builds?i remember that i was not able to open a 63 version with 23305 client :-k
    but it's hard to say, it was 6 months ago...
    i hope i got the point, this time
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Hi David,

as long as you do not modify objects with the 23305 build there should be no problem. If you do that then the SIFT triggers would be downgraded to the wrong version again.

If you don't want to or cannot update all databases at the same time just manually change the DB version in ndo$dbproperty in all DBs to 63. Then the developers can use the latest client. When you upgrade these DBs you will have to manually set back the DB version to 60 first.

A customer of mine is currently on build 29821 (still DB version 63). Opening the DB with all builds larger than 23305 is working fine. Just make sure the developers are using a correct version.

Frank
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    FDickschat wrote:
    Hi David,

as long as you do not modify objects with the 23305 build there should be no problem. If you do that then the SIFT triggers would be downgraded to the wrong version again.

If you don't want to or cannot update all databases at the same time just manually change the DB version in ndo$dbproperty in all DBs to 63. Then the developers can use the latest client. When you upgrade these DBs you will have to manually set back the DB version to 60 first.

A customer of mine is currently on build 29821 (still DB version 63). Opening the DB with all builds larger than 23305 is working fine. Just make sure the developers are using a correct version.

Frank

Thanks Frank,

that's what I thought and its great to have it confirmed. It does seem that once the SIFT triggers are on the server it will be fine. And especially thanks for confirming my fear of designing in the old version. That's my biggest fear.

Unfortunately a manual change to the DB version is not going to happen, this would be too risky that we miss one but the idea is actually quite sound. Unfortunately a lot of the databases are largish (100-300gig) so the conversion takes time and a lot of Log file space, so we can't just do it in one big hit. Plan A actually was to move to NAV2009sp1, but with the new Dynamic Cursor issue; this now can't happen till we do a few months testing ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!
    David Singleton
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Plan A actually was to move to NAV2009sp1, but with the new Dynamic Cursor issue; this now can't happen till we do a few months testing ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!
    The dynamic cursors stopped us also. We actually downgraded back from 4.03.29113 to 4.03.26410 because of this. But MS has finally released newer versions (4.03.29821, 5.0.??, 6.01.29958) which have fixed that (and the missing WHERE clause in case there was a filter on a form #-o ). But of course you are right with the "all over again". ](*,)

For 2009SP1 this is Build 29958 or newer: http://blogs.technet.com/gediminb/

We are moving next week to 6.01.29958 (from 4.03.26410). So far all tests went well.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    FDickschat wrote:

For 2009SP1 this is Build 29958 or newer: http://blogs.technet.com/gediminb/

We are moving next week to 6.01.29958 (from 4.03.26410). So far all tests went well.

Thanks for sharing I will try that out. :thumbsup:
    David Singleton