Windows 7 and NAV 4.0SP2

yekedeyekede Member Posts: 96
hi all,
I installed NAV 4.0 SP2 on Windows 7. When i try to start nav i get a message: "Microsoft Navision has stopped fonctionning. Windows is looking for a solution" and then nothing happens. I have read recent posts on this issue and i have tried to add build no 23099 for NAV 4.0 SP2 .
Is there any chance for using NAV 4.0 SP2 on Windows 7. if yes please share information.
Thanks

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Did you search the forum?
    There are some topics about using older versions of NAV on Windows 7.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• yekedeyekede Member Posts: 96
    Yes Kriki,
    I have read older posts which recommend to install newer buids, latest hotfix and i followed the link and download Build no 23099 update 3. when i tired to replace the files in my clent installation folder i get message 'acess denied' for every files. Any idea?
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    That sounds like a Windows permission problem. Try logging in as a local or domain admin.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    When you installed all, did you run as administrator?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

matttrax wrote:
    That sounds like a Windows permission problem. Try logging in as a local or domain admin.
    I had already logged in as administrator
    kriki wrote:
    When you installed all
    Hi Kriki are you talking about install the build ?I was not able to replace the files in my client folder
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Yeah this because of the UAC has the "trusted installer" role now where you need to have permissions.

Look at the security tab for you nav folder and change ownership to your ID.

Alternatively when you copy over the objects windows 7 should prompt you for admin access.

There are a few posted about it

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37499&hilit=trusted+installer

Just out of interest you do know you have to do a technical upgrade of the DB first?
    jannestig wrote:
    Just out of interest you do know you have to do a technical upgrade of the DB first?
    even if its a cronus database for developing customizations?
    If its just a development DB, Just install 5.1 and restore 4.02 DB into it and upgrade DB at prompt.

The equivilent of Doing your technical upgrade. We have done this for a lot of customers as a recommendaton.
    Ok now i install nav 5.0 in windows 7 and restore my 4.0 SP2 developpement database into it but i got no question to convert database. is this ok? Can i continue my customisation in this database?
    You installed 5.1 and then restored your 4.2 DB into it with no issues.

Compile all the objects to check for errors and if there is no issue, yes you should be able to carry on developing with your 4.02 business logic objects.

welcome to be corrected by a developer.
  • hawkeyehawkeye Member Posts: 51
    Be carefull developing in 5.0 SP1 in objects you want to use in 4.0 SP2.

You will have to downgrade the objects when you want to use them in 4.0. There are new properties and other stuff in 5.0 that can give you trouble importing 5.0 opbjects in a 4.0 client.

To do so, import as txt and compile.
    jannestig wrote:
    Compile all the objects to check for errors
    Got about ten objects with errors. looking into it...
    all objects compile with no errors now. Thanks all :)
    Hi all, I've want to merge my NAV 4.0SP2 objects with NAV 5.0 objects using the developper toolkit because i want to use 5.0 business logic. My question is: Which version of the developper toolkit should i install? I've tried NDT 2.0 SP2 and NDT2.0SP3 but each time i try to open the ndt database i am unable to do so. Any idea please?
    Thanks
  • afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    The NDT database is itself a Navision database (although it can store information about objects from many different NAV databases).
    If the NDT database is Nav 5.01, then you can open it with NDT 2.0 SP3 (Build 0291).

What version of Nav is your NDT database?
    Alastair Farrugia
    i created the ndt database using Nav 5.0 client
    I don't know which version of NDT to use for that (if there is one), but you could just open the NDT database with a NAV 5.01 client, convert the database when prompted, and after that you can open it in NDT 2.0 SP3 (Build 0291).
    Alastair Farrugia
    Thanks Alastair,
    Anybody has other idea of the ndt to use?
    You can download different versions of the Nav Developer's Toolkit from PartnerSource:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... ndtall.htm

The webpage doesn't say which Nav version each NDT version corresponds to, but:

There are two versions of NDT 2 SP3 - one is build 290, the other is build 291.
    Buiild 290 is apparently for Nav 4.03 (it could not open a Nav 5.00 database), while build 291 works with Nav 5.01, so it seems that there is no NDT version for Nav 5.00.

As I suggested in a previous post, just open your Nav 5.00 NDT database with a Nav 5.01 client, and then you'll be able to open it in NDT 2 SP3 build 291.
    Alastair Farrugia