E-Commerce with navision

rdjainrdjain Member Posts: 2
We are planning to launch an e-commerce solution for a manufacturing company. We have microsoft dynamics Navision ERP software. We are buying a configurator for filtering/configuring customized products. Also we are buying a storefront/shopping cart which is already integrated with the configurator. The Storefront we are planning to buy uses C#.NET and we are planning the launch a .NET e-commerce. Finally the ecommerce slution includes ERP(Navision) --> Product Configuartor --> Storefront/Shopping Cart --> Website. We will start with customizing storefront. However I have no clue where to start.

What does the website consist of? Does it just mean adding pages to the shopping cart software or customizing its existing pages? If not, how do we go about intergating a website with Shopping Cart/Storefront?

How does hosting for such an e-commerce solution work? Do we need to find a host who supports the shopping cart/storefront software we are buying or do we just need a hosting service that can launch our website?

What about the database of the shopping cart/storefront? Does the hosting server need a maintain a separate database or just the website can be interfaced to shopping cart/storefront to access the database on our company location?

Does the shopping cart and navision database needs to be separate or can we integrate everything together? The storefront/shopping cart we are buying, also uses SQL Server.

Any help/advice/links is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Sorry, this won't be helpfull, but if you have no idea where to start, why are you already buying all the stuff you have listed. Wouldn't it be better to figure out what you need before you start buying stuff ?
  • nav-2-sharepointnav-2-sharepoint Member Posts: 25
    For further information check the web!
  • UKMagentoUKMagento Member Posts: 1
    I do not think they need separation to work in good manner.
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

in regards to your question about the separation of databases, it will work fine if you have it all on one database.
    But think about security, do you really want a web based application to have access to your NAV database? Especially if the ERP database contains payroll information?

I would advice 2 separate databases, one for your web application and one for your NAV database. This enhances security and your website will be taking orders even if you are performing maintenance on the NAV database.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • DigitalVantagePointDigitalVantagePoint Member, Sponsor Posts: 18
    I agree.

Seperate database is the way to go. Helps prevent performance issues with Core NAV.

We offer a ready complete e-commerce solution integrated (in fact embedded) within NAV. So no need for 3rd party tools outside of NAV. Helps save lot of efforts on maintenenace and training costs and data redundancy.
    It has a website & shopping cart and can manage both product & non-product related content within NAV and more importanty offers online business continuity. So the website smoothly takes orders even when connectivity to NAV is unavailable !
    Moreover, the look & feel can be customized by simple coding in .NET ASCX.

See more details at: http://www.mibuso.com/pdinfo.asp?FileID=269
    OR
    Watch Demo Video at: http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1177