Convert FOB Files to Text

cjaneycjaney Member Posts: 4
I am using the NavObjectViewer tool to try and determine where particular objects have been used. Unfortunately, our license does not permit us to export all objects in text form as we get permission errors.

We can, obviously, export all the objects in FOB format without error.

We either need a tool to convert FOB objects to Text, or some other method of exporting the objects to text. Or at a bare minimum, a means of pre-identifying which objects we have permissions to export so that we can include only those objects.

I am a former Solution Center developer now working for a customer and do not have a developers license anymore.

Thanks

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Well as a former Solution Center developer you are undoubtedly familiar with the "License Permission" and "Permission Range" virtual tables. You can use those to retrieve all permissions on an object by object basis, so that would answer how you could determine which objects you have access to.

To get all the objects in text format, the easy answer would be to get your partner to export the objects for you, although as an end user you are not supposed to have all that. There's a reason why you have to purchase a license for granules, and having all objects in text format would give you access to objects that are outside your license.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    In case you are not familiar with the Permission Range table, it has the following fields:

Object Type
    Index
    From
    To
    Read Permission
    Insert Permission
    Modify Permission
    Delete Permission
    Execute Permission
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Speaking from experience freelancing a few years ago - there will be a number of services you will be unable to provide the customer as a developer without have access to a full license, the biggest being any sort of upgrades. Just bear that in mind as you move forward - that might be fine in your case, but figured I'd mention.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"