Missing program in Automation Server List

engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
Hi

I am having a program that is installed on the server but I cannot see it in Automation server list in a variable. I suspect it could be that I am in a Citrix environment. I know that because I was there when the program was installed and I can actually call it from the server, it is a printer like device (PDFCreator) which I can call when I want to print a report.

It is an executable file so there is no dll to register. What other possibility is causing me not to see the program

Thank you,

Tan Eng Siong

Comments

• tlarsontlarson Member Posts: 27
    PDFCreator is designed to give you a virtual printer so that you can use the print function in any program and spit out a PDF file. PDFCreator is not an automation object, so it won't show up in the list of automation objects.

If you want to use PDF Creator with Nav, run a report, and print it to the PDFCreator printer - no coding required, no automation variables required.

Tim
  • engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
    I think that I have found out what its the issue, it is due it is due to the fact that when the program is installed on the server, it was not installed in C:\ drive. Strangely when it was installed in the C:\ drive (normal root directory), we could use the file in the Automation Server.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    tlarson wrote:
    PDFCreator is designed to give you a virtual printer so that you can use the print function in any program and spit out a PDF file. PDFCreator is not an automation object, so it won't show up in the list of automation objects.

If you want to use PDF Creator with Nav, run a report, and print it to the PDFCreator printer - no coding required, no automation variables required.

Tim
    That's not true. PDFCreator installation includes Automation interface to the PDFCreator functionality...
    I think that I have found out what its the issue, it is due it is due to the fact that when the program is installed on the server, it was not installed in C:\ drive. Strangely when it was installed in the C:\ drive (normal root directory), we could use the file in the Automation Server.

All depends on where you are running the client and where the PDFCreator is installed. If you are running NAV over Citrix, PDFCreator must be installed on the Citrix server. If the Citrix is running on cluster, PDFCreator must be installed on all servers of the cluster.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.