NAV 5.0 SP1 Expected/Automatic Cost Posting woes :(

stormbolt81stormbolt81 Member Posts: 11
Hi all,

I have an issue with Expected Cost Posting / Automatic Costing Posting, whereby at times performing a Warehouse Shipment would incorrectly not post any expected COGS to the GL (and sometimes it does. no idea why)

I have set up the following:

1) Inventory Setup
Automatic Cost Posting is ticked
Expected Cost Posting is ticked
Automatic Cost Adj is set to Always
Average Cost Calc. Type is set to 0
Average Cost Period is set to Day
Location is set to mandatory
2) Warehouse Setup (Additional Granule for WH Receipt/Shipment are used)
Require Receive and Shipment are ticked

Problem:

I have received items using Warehouse Receipt (no AP Invoice keyed in).
NAV does this perfectly : DR Inventory (Interim)
CR AP Accrual (Interim)

After that, I have also shipped out the same item using Warehouse Shipment
sometimes, NAV would perform the following : DR Expected COGS (Interim)
CR Inventory (Interim)

<this seems to happen for those items i brought in as opening inventory using item journal via positive adjustment>

For those not brought in, and purchased using the above mentioned, it does not provide the expected entries as i would like it to kick off.
In the value entries for these, the expected cost are reflected as ZERO.

Is there anything wrong with my setup? Kindly advice.

Thanks & Regards,
Gerald

Comments

• KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    There is nothing wrong with your setup. (although Average Cost Calc. Type normally has the options Item or Item&Location&Variant, that may be a localization).

Your opening positive adjustments have no expected cost, as both adjustment entry types (+/-) are regarded as invoiced.
    "Expected cost" is the assumed cost at the time of receiving or shipping, or an output from a unfinished production order. But if the transaction is invoiced too in the same posting process (the NAV standard allows this to be done from warehouse documents), then no additional "expected cost" entry is created, instead just one with the actual cost.
    Another reason could be that some items are set to "Inventory Value Zero", then you'll get no cost amounts in the value ledger entries and subsequently nothing posted (neither expected nor actual cost) to the G/L Accounts.
    Kai Kowalewski