License change restriction

AmaraaAmaraa Member Posts: 153
Hello pros,

I have a question about license thing, which I never tried before.
It may sound weird, but I need to know.

One of the customers of mine had hired our previous developer and developing objects with our license.
So, the question is how can I restrict the license use.
What I want to do is if they are using other than their license the navision doesn't let them open, print any reports and don't let them to access to object designer.

And the thing is they have designer's license, version is nav 5.0.

Any help appreciated,
Amaraa

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can only add some testing in code, but with the devel license, you can remove this each time without problem... :-)

Better is to use permissions to allow license change only to trusted users...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AmaraaAmaraa Member Posts: 153
    kine wrote:
    You can only add some testing in code, but with the devel license, you can remove this each time without problem... :-)

Better is to use permissions to allow license change only to trusted users...
    Great! is there anyway to do that?(setting permissions)
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    On a user role permissions select Object type = System, then 5910 License information and set all permissions to zero.

See who has this permission first then remove it. Of course it is the customers db and i suspect anyone who can use the developers license will know how to remove this anyway
    jannestig wrote:
    On a user role permissions select Object type = System, then 5910 License information and set all permissions to zero.

See who has this permission first then remove it. Of course it is the customers db and i suspect anyone who can use the developers license will know how to remove this anyway
    Thanks you very very much \:D/
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    If this developer is now an employee (on the payroll) of the Navision end user then the company must purchase the Solution developer and application builder licenses. I would suggest you politely let them know that what they are doing is not technically legal, and have them purchase those granules.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    what they are doing is not technically legal

And by technically you mean not legal at all. :D

If the developer is an actual employee, full-time, benefits, the whole deal...then the fault lies on the end user in my opinion.

If he is just a freelancer that took the partner's license and is using it to do work, then the fault is on him (with maybe a little bit on the end-user).
    matttrax wrote:
    what they are doing is not technically legal

And by technically you mean not legal at all. :D

If the developer is an actual employee, full-time, benefits, the whole deal...then the fault lies on the end user in my opinion.

If he is just a freelancer that took the partner's license and is using it to do work, then the fault is on him (with maybe a little bit on the end-user).
    I think in both ways it is end-user fault (somehow).
    jannestig wrote:

I tried with this permission.
    But it works like this:
    1. I cannot open license information form. -> which I cannot change the license nor see the license info
    2. I can open license information form. -> even I set the permissions to "" or "indirect" except read I can have a full access to the license information options. which means I can change my license.

Isn't there anyway to make like this:
    3. I can see my license information but I cannot do things further. which means I cannot change, export, upload, import the license. :?: :!:

Thanks,
    Amaraa
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Amaraa wrote:
    jannestig wrote:

I tried with this permission.
    But it works like this:
    1. I cannot open license information form. -> which I cannot change the license nor see the license info
    2. I can open license information form. -> even I set the permissions to "" or "indirect" except read I can have a full access to the license information options. which means I can change my license.

Isn't there anyway to make like this:
    3. I can see my license information but I cannot do things further. which means I cannot change, export, upload, import the license. :?: :!:

Thanks,
    Amaraa

NO!

Please read the suggestions earlier. You can't resolve it this way. They can in any case just open a cronus database as SUPER, to change the license, so how would that help or even make sense.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Or just tell your ex-developer that he is doing work with tools owned by the company and that you will take legal action if he doesn't stop. Even having a copy of the partner license after he left the company has to be in violation of your policies and/or Microsoft's.

Of course the problem will eventually fix itself as the partner license is only good for three years and does expire. That doesn't help you with the lost revenue in the meantime, though.
    Thanks for the posts.
    So, from here I got idea about that I cannot restrict their license changing/using in navision.
    But we should deal with them about this.

Thank for you help,
    Amaraa