Prevent copying multiple records solutions

MauddibMauddib Member Posts: 269
The question has come up here on how to prevent copying of multiple records from a list form.

I tried to think of some solutions. I thought of maybe intercepting Ctrl+C and doing a COUNT > 1 test. This worked of course, but this does not stop the user selecting COPY from the EDIT menu so no good.

My second solution idea is to prevent somehow more than one record being highlighted in the list form. How to do this I do not know.

Anyone got ideas how to do this, or another solution?

Comments

• MauddibMauddib Member Posts: 269
    Ah I just changed my keywords I was using to see if this was solved before and I see that not only is this kind of request very common, but at least one forum user gets rather annoyed by it :) Sorry people!

However, I hate letting go of a challange once I have started it, so if anyone has an idea on how to select only one line in a list form at a time, let me know as it is still interesting to learn.
    Actually I changed my search keywords again and this is almost perfect:

viewtopic.php?t=18740

As it stops you being able to select more than one record at a time. Down side however is it stops you copying even that one record.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What's to prevent the user from simply taking screenshot of the form?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    From reading around the forum, which I appear to have done better than I did before I started this thread, I have found that the main concern is with numbers of records. For example in terms of Customer records the database here has 700k customers. Thats a hell of a lot of screen shots.

Clearly, no solution is perfect, hence comments like screen shots, camera phones and the like. Anyone who wants to steal and sell data can do it some way in the end. I thought it a stupid idea myself when I was asked about it. The solution linked above will do them, they can take it or leave it if they really want it. I don't care :)

However, as I said, I hate to leave questions unanswered and I'm genuinely curious how to code it so a user can only select one record at a time. It's now more a niggling unanswered question rather than a full requirement and I can think of other applications for the knowledge too.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Mauddib wrote:
    From reading around the forum, which I appear to have done better than I did before I started this thread, I have found that the main concern is with numbers of records. For example in terms of Customer records the database here has 700k customers. Thats a hell of a lot of screen shots.

700K customers. :shock:

I work with 1 client that has about 40,000 customers and always considered that to be a high number. Most sites I work with are small to mid-size manaufacturing companies with typical customer list of 1000 or so customers. Sometimes less.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Its a company that has a lot of one off customers, hence the size of the list.
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    One of my projects has about 600000 customers and many more contacts. But the solution they chose was to block users from accessing the Internet and disable users' USB ports / floppy drive / CD recorders / rights to Install software. This limits the user's ways to get anything but it's not perfect.
    Wow that sounds serious! :?

I am happy enough to provide them the solution linked to above however. Right now I am just frustrated I can not find a code way to do the "one line at a time" idea :)

I hate when Navision beats me, so I want to put that one to rest before I leave the issue.