Error creating dimension value

zutzuzutzu Member Posts: 86
NAV 5 sql database.
When the customer with his licence creates dimension values, there are no problems (usually).
But, sometimes, there is an error: "You do not have permission to read the cost accounting setup".
The customer license doesn´t have permission for costing (no granule).
The problem comes when, with a developer license, post in a journal, because with that license, creates ine register in table "cost accounting setup".
And when there ir one register in that table and somebody wants to create a dimension value (with the normal license, the costomer license), NAV shows that error.
Any idea to avoid it?

P.D: yes, the problem would desappear if nobody of partner would use developer license in the customer, but if you have to migrate information and more things, is difficult to be changing licenses.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    zutzu wrote:
    P.D: yes, the problem would desappear if nobody of partner would use developer license in the customer, but if you have to migrate information and more things, is difficult to be changing licenses.

I have to disagree. Changing licenses takes all of 10 seconds. The customer license should be used to do ALL final testing...not to mention you shouldn't be testing on a production database so the data should never be inserted in live data to begin with.

If there is more to it please explain.
  • zutzuzutzu Member Posts: 86
    This customer has license for 3 person.
    When i go to work there (i work in partner) there is no free license, because 3 persons are working with Dynamics NAV.
    And, obviously, i have to work with Dynamics NAV.
    Do i have to tell somebody "Go out of Dynamics NAV and don´t work with NAV all the day"?
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    That's reasonable...wasn't thinking about that scenario. I don't think there is a way to turn off functionality in the license.

I hate suggesting to write code for this, but I can't think of another way around it if you are literally posting things for them. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, but mine is

IF UnlicensedTable.READPERMISSION THEN
    UnlicensedTable.DELETEALL

Since your license, and presumably you, would be the one inserting those records that code would execute and delete everything that shouldn't have been inserted. Dangerous, though, if they ever did purchase the costing granule.

Short of that...check your work.
    ok, thank you.
    I thought that somebody would have been in this trouble, but i see that i work in strange way.
    And there is no "standard" solution.

Thank you again.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    zutzu wrote:

You should never use your developer license on the live customer database.
    zutzu wrote:
    This customer has license for 3 person.
    When i go to work there (i work in partner) there is no free license, because 3 persons are working with Dynamics NAV.
    And, obviously, i have to work with Dynamics NAV.
    Do i have to tell somebody "Go out of Dynamics NAV and don´t work with NAV all the day"?

That is exactly what you do. The customer has paid for 3 licenses, they do not have the right to use a 4, this is a clear break of the terms of use of the Navision license.

As Mattrax says, all testing and development MUST be done in a test environment. What are you doing that needs you to be logged in all day to the clients system.

I agree there are exceptions to using a developers license on a production database. These would include:

1/ Upgrades.
    2/ Data correction caused by software bugs.
    3/ Certain debugging scenarios that can only be done in live and can not be reproduced in a test environment.

I guess there may be more but that's all I can think of.

BUT I am 100% certain that
    zutzu wrote:
    The problem comes when, with a developer license, post in a journal...
    means you are using your developer license to post data, which is a clear breach of contract.

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
    David Singleton
    Maybe i have not explained it very good.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    In the customer, they are working in NAV and they need data migration (for example, general ledger entries).
    How must i do my work? I work in a partner.
    There are 3 people working in NAV ant they have license for 3 people.
    I can´t work with NAV with customer license.
    If i use my pc and i use developer license (i don´t upload developer license in database and developer license is not in any pc of the customer), is there any problem?
    If there is problem, how can i migrate (and post) general ledger entries without using developer license?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    zutzu wrote:
    Maybe i have not explained it very good.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    In the customer, they are working in NAV and they need data migration (for example, general ledger entries).
    How must i do my work? I work in a partner.
    There are 3 people working in NAV ant they have license for 3 people.
    I can´t work with NAV with customer license.
    If i use my pc and i use developer license (i don´t upload developer license in database and developer license is not in any pc of the customer), is there any problem?
    If there is problem, how can i migrate (and post) general ledger entries without using developer license?

If you are a developer you work on your local database so its not a problem.

If you are importing data to Navision and posting it, you ARE NOT working as a developer, you are a user. Therefor the customer must purchase one more user license. Navision licensing model is based on concurrent users, not named users.

You are posting journals, you are a concurrent user you have to buy a license.
    David Singleton
    Buf.
    Do I have to tell to the customer that he must buy another license (one user more) to migrate data?
    In a small customer, it they have to buy 4 users license instead of 3 users license, maybe that customer will not buy Dynamics NAV and will buy another ERP.