Data Migration bugs

jackiesjackies Member Posts: 114
We want to use the new version 5.1 functionality Data Migration to copy a Template structure for all our new companies.

I have selected all the tables and the fields I want to use and created an xml & xls version.

When I import either of the two files and apply migration data, some fields in specific tables do not get updated:

1. Account Schedule Lines are not copied from xml for all customized schedules
2. No. Series – Starting Date field is not copied in codes using different number series line for each period.
3. VAT Posting Group – Posting Setup is not updated with VAT % values
4. Applying Migration data gives me migration errors VAT Statement Line but when I rerun it this is fixed...

](*,)

Comments

• jackiesjackies Member Posts: 114
    Guys any help?
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    is it the RIM of version 5Sp1 are you talking about?it's quite buggy, mi suggest you to download the latest version (i don't think there are version conflicts), that should be correct (another error is that decimal fields with ",00" decimal are not imported correctly, or not at all).
    I don't remember the link to download it, sorry, but here there's a list of the bugs
    http://blogs.msdn.com/nav_developer/archive/2008/10/17/rim-tool-on-5-0-sp1.aspx
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
    Thanks Belias,

I think this will at least give me something to show our partner...
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    RIM it's a "built-in" application of the product, don't blame your partner if it doesn't work...just tell him to correct/upgrade it!
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Even the upgrade version doesn't property copy over all the data required.

My suggestion is to study what tables are used under File --> Database --> Information --> Tables

Look at which tables are used and determine whether you need to move them over.

If you're not comfortable doing this, I'd highly recommend getting your partner involved.
    Belias wrote:
    RIM it's a "built-in" application of the product, don't blame your partner if it doesn't work...just tell him to correct/upgrade it!

I know it's not their fault. But knowing what's the problem is this might help them fix the issues we are facing with the tool.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Even the upgrade version doesn't property copy over all the data required.

My suggestion is to study what tables are used under File --> Database --> Information --> Tables

Look at which tables are used and determine whether you need to move them over.

If you're not comfortable doing this, I'd highly recommend getting your partner involved.

My partner has been notified but he may have never had a problem before with the tool since we are their biggest client :wink:

Note that we don't copy company specific data like transactions or records. We only want to copy basic structure information to make company creation process faster and more efficient. :D
    The RIM tool updated objects helped 90% since it fixed most of our issues with Data Migration.

However, there is a table I still can't make it work:

Account schedule template names are copied but Account schedule lines returned an error (i.e. migration error)

The question is why does this happen only for the specific table?? ](*,)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    jackies wrote:
    The RIM tool updated objects helped 90% since it fixed most of our issues with Data Migration.

Account schedule template names are copied but Account schedule lines returned an error (i.e. migration error)

Your other post tends to indicate that there ere some fields missed in the upgrade. You should be talking to your partner about this.
    David Singleton
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    jackies wrote:

what does the error sound like ?
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.
    When I get to Account schedule window I can see the template names but if I select any one of them, there is no data in the lines.
    Which tables conserning account schedule did you migrate in order to transfer your account schedules?
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    Acc. Schedule Name & Acc. Schedule Line & Acc. Sched. Cell Value
    Well,
    In my opinion, you can transfer all the account schedules correctly in the following way:
    1. Create the Analysis Views, that your account schedules use.
    2. Transfer Account Schedules (t.84) - or if they are a small number, it will take less time to type the names in the new company.
    3. Transfer Account Schedule Line (t.85)
    4. Transfer Column Layout Name (t.333)
    5. Transfer Column Layout (t.334)

And I think that would do.
    Boris
    the floor is concrete.
    Thanks bstoyano for the input!

This -more or less- is what we are planning to do: create a dataport to import the account schedule lines to the new company. If the company is not using the default, then the user should use export from the base company he/she will use and then import to the new company. :wink:

So for a new company:

Run data migration to import the template tables (from file)
    Use dataport to import account schedules lines (from file)