pauldpauld Member Posts: 21
I have a partner license with the following granules:
7,110 Report & Dataport Designer
7,120 Form Designer
7,130 Table Designer
7,140 XML Designer
7,200 Application Builder
7,300 Solution Developer

I'm trying to edit a report in the 11113110 ID range but I'm getting the infamous "No permission to read" error.
I was told we were able to edit all objects with this license.
Added to my User account is of course the SUPER role.
Should I try to get my €25.000 euro back or am I doing something stupid?

Thanx wise persons on mibuso :)

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    pauld wrote:
    I have a partner license with the following granules:
    7,110 Report & Dataport Designer
    7,120 Form Designer
    7,130 Table Designer
    7,140 XML Designer
    7,200 Application Builder
    7,300 Solution Developer

I'm trying to edit a report in the 11113110 ID range but I'm getting the infamous "No permission to read" error.
    I was told we were able to edit all objects with this license.
    Added to my User account is of course the SUPER role.
    Should I try to get my €25.000 euro back or am I doing something stupid?

Thanx wise persons on mibuso :)

If you just paid €25.000 for a partner license, then you were scammed.
    David Singleton
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Is this an add-on / vertical solution object? There are objects belonging to add-ons or vertical solutions that can't be modified with standard license. You'll need to update your license for these objects (if you can)...
  • Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Which country/region version is the licence for, and which country/region is the database?

I have a client in the Netherlands and they have Dutch specific standard objects in the 11000000 + object range (Though no. report ID 11113110) which cannot be modified using our GB solution centre licence. Instead we have separate solution developer licences in our name to make changes to these.

Hope this helps!
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • pauldpauld Member Posts: 21
    So basically I'm f**cked?
    Well I can or course recreate all these reports.
    But it would have been nice to check the CAL code etc.
    thanks david.
    I'll contact MS...
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah, if you paid anything for your partner license you just got screwed out of a lot of money. You get at least two people to pass a combination of four exams (Financials, Dev II, Installtion and Configuration, and SQL Implementation and Maintenance). You apply for a partnership. No money other than the cost of the exams.

As for a partner license, you can modify BASE objects and custom objects from 50,000 - 99,999. You CANNOT modify other partners add-ons. Having a partner license does give you free reign to everything in Navision (close, but not everything). If you need to modify code for an add-on you will probably have to become a certified reseller of that add-on. Check with the company that developed it and they will be able to tell you how to add that functionality to your license.
    pauld wrote:
    So basically I'm f**cked?
    Well I can or course recreate all these reports.
    But it would have been nice to check the CAL code etc.

Assuming you are telling the truth and that you really are a Navision partner. Are you sure? Maybe you are an end user?
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You probably bought an add-on that does not allow partners to modify their objects. Complaining to MS probably will not help you much... :(
    I am still curious as to how Paul went from End User to partner in three months?

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35612
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Perhaps he is confusing partner license with a license that contains Solution Developer. That does cost roughly $25,000 and would fit with the original post.
    haha i knew this question would come eventually. Well we had several options in keeping costs low.
    I discussed the option of having a partner doing all the work for us. But the rates are high. For three days of on premises consultancy I can hire someone for a month. I phoned around how f.e. breweries solve this problem. They just hire a fulltime developer and buy a licence for development - MSDN unfortunately doesn't cut it here. For advanced stuff they go back to the partner.

I solved this problem by asking our partner to save the object in a range we can edit. My impatience always gets the better of me.

P.s. Matttrax is right, - 7300 solution developer. So much for my own sideshow IT firm...
    It's always best to get the facts right before calling MS to abuse them :mrgreen:

So basically you purchased the developer tools for your end user license.

Nothing wrong with that, and if you have a really big project it will pay. Just remember that learning to develop solutions for Navision will take a long time, so be prepared for the learning curve. Most developers make quite a mess of their first project but are backed up by more senior developers in the company. In your case, don't be shy to call your partner and have them helping you do it right.

Most mistakes you can make in Navision you wont even know about for 6-12 months.

And don't forget the forums, lots of resources here.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
    David Singleton
    Instead we have separate solution developer licences in our name to make changes to these.
    Hope this helps!

My question is a bit off-topic, but what do you mean in "our name"?

I remember when I got my certifications I received a license, but when it expired, I was informed by Microsoft that the licensing scheme had changed and we no longer get individual licenses. Are you referring to something different?
  • Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Sorry, what I mean is that it is in our company name as a solution partner, so we have a GB reseller licence, a NL reseller licence etc for doing work on local objects.

Hope this is more clear.
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
    Hope this is more clear.

It is now. Thanks.