NAV Tool Kit

RanaRana Member Posts: 123
Dear all,

What are the differences between Updrate ToolKit and Developer ToolKit ??

Which version should I choose for DB migration from NAVIN 4.0 SP3 (HF5) to NAVIN 2009 SP1 ??

What should be the BUILD NO. of the Targeted DB ??

Please share any experience ( Problem solving techniques ) if any one have gone thru the same Updating Project !!!

Waiting for reply ...... :roll:

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    first: i suggest you to ask a senior developer before asking here...if you are the most experienced developer in your company, you shouldn't do this project...it can lead to serious problems...

second: if you don't follow my first suggestion...
    upgrade toolkit are a set of navision objects needed for "upgrading data" from an older version to a newer one, this happens in the case that some tables or fields in the old version have been dropped in the new one: you have to move this data to newer table (i explained this in few words).
    developer toolkit is a tool (an .exe, out of navision database that you can use to compare the objects of the older, customized, and newer (nav2009sp1 in your case) database. This must be done in order to move your customizations to the newer database.
    For this upgrade you'll need both tool. (but you can substitute the developer's toolkit with a text comparer if you prefer)
    BUILD NO.?the last one!for sure!29818
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • RanaRana Member Posts: 123
    Belias wrote:
    first: i suggest you to ask a senior developer before asking here...if you are the most experienced developer in your company, you shouldn't do this project...it can lead to serious problems...

second: if you don't follow my first suggestion...
    upgrade toolkit are a set of navision objects needed for "upgrading data" from an older version to a newer one, this happens in the case that some tables or fields in the old version have been dropped in the new one: you have to move this data to newer table (i explained this in few words).
    developer toolkit is a tool (an .exe, out of navision database that you can use to compare the objects of the older, customized, and newer (nav2009sp1 in your case) database. This must be done in order to move your customizations to the newer database.
    For this upgrade you'll need both tool. (but you can substitute the developer's toolkit with a text comparer if you prefer)
    BUILD NO.?the last one!for sure!29818

Exactly. But U have not mentioned the ToolKit Version. :wink:
    The last one!
    NDT_v3.01.410

BTW, if i remember well, you have to do a tech upgrade of the older obj in order to import them in this version of dev toolkit. (if i remember well, a colleague of mine have had this problem, but i can't assure you)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Thanks Belias for ur reply.

But if I use "NDT_v3.01.410" then the Developer's Toolkit database must be created with 2009 executables (not 2009 SP1).

Now my question is how I can upgrade it to NAV 2009 SP1?
    you have the database for toolkit, then you can import text files of nav2009sp1, too (i think)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Belias wrote:
    you have the database for toolkit, then you can import text files of nav2009sp1, too (i think)
    importing of higher version object into a lower version... :-k
    do you know how the toolkit works?or didn't i explained correctly?
    you can (you have, in this case) to import the txt file of the objects of nav2009 if you want to do an upgrade.
    with "import" i mean the import function of dev toolkit, which is used to create the versions.
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    As I understand you:

Toolkit database is in Nav 2009 and I have to import

A) Nav 4.0 SP3 all objects (Base)

B) Client DB all object

C) Nav 2009 SP1 all object (Base)

In the Toolkit DB

??
    Now or Never
    are you doing an upgrade from 4sp3 to nav2009?if so, and if you want to use the developer's toolkit, you should really read its manual. I think you're using File->import from navision (this is wrong), but you should instead create one (or more, in your case) new "version" in the toolkit client...am i clear?do you know what does version mean in the toolkit? :-k
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Thanx Belias for ur valuable reply....i have started upgradation process...
    Hi all,

I have completed the upgradation of object from NAV 4.0 SP3 to NAV 2009 SP1 with the help of NDT_v3.01.410 . Now I want to upgrade the data .

Which upgradation toolkit should I use?

kindly reply.

thanks,

RANA
    Rana wrote:
    Which upgradation toolkit should I use?
    what about the one you find in the product cd? :wink:
    NOTE: you don't need to upgrade from 2009 to 2009sp1
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    edited 2010-01-15
    Belias wrote:
    what about the one you find in the product cd? :wink:

ooooooooooooo Thanks Belias......... :) You mean to say in NAV 2009 Product CD ?

There are so many things we have but we don't know about that.This forum is really Incomparable........
    yes, the toolkit of the product cd! :wink: you're welcome
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • ALopez27ALopez27 Member Posts: 42
    Is it worth paying $8,000 for the dev. tool kit? I understand it may speed up some dev. tasks, however, I have neve seen this and not sure if it's worth the price, can someone tell me what makes this tool kit so expensive and give me examples of the most valuable features? We are using NAV2009 Classic and plan on upgrading to NAV2009 SP1 and then to the RTC. THanks.