Shared GL Account

alien251alien251 Member Posts: 80
Here’s the scenario…

I create Company A setup COA, have many transactions against these accounts. Create Company B, in Company B I have the same COA as Company A, they’re shared by default right? I can delete an account in Company B and the same account with balances will be deleted in Company A with no error/warning messages.

I'm interested to hear your comments.

Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    No, not at all. Setup and data between companies are not linked. All companies in a database have to use the same *objects*- as in if I change the customer card it will be changed in all companies. Things like g/l, customer, vendor, etc. are not connected to the other companies.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Unless you have setup the G/L Account table as DataPerCompany=No, then the data is not shared between companies.
  • alien251alien251 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks for the reply! The table is setup as shared, still seems like a huge bug or maybe even an implementation/setup problem to allow gl accounts to be deleted in all companies from a single company. I know we could prevent this with some modifications but at this point I think each company needs it's own set of gl accounts even if they're duplicated. So I'm going to export records, change table to not be shared and import gl accounts back.

Thanks

Dan
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It's more of a setup issue than a bug. If it is explained to the customer beforehand and they understand the implications it's a perfectly legitimate way to set it up. Imagine having 100 companies, or even 10 as we do, that all share a chart of accounts. It can be a huge time saver.
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    matttrax wrote:
    Unless you have setup the G/L Account table as DataPerCompany=No, then the data is not shared between companies.
    Where is this?
    *EDIT*
    Design on the Table, go past the last line, View-> Properties. Answered my own question.

I would say this goes beyond even standard setup, and is definitely not a bug. This was very intentional and should have come from a direct business requirement.