NAV 2009 Database Server service does not start

afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
We have a handful of Nav Database Servers set up on our server, some are Nav 4.03 and 2 are Nav 2009.
Each service has a unique port, using TCP, which is assigned in the services file, e.g.
SERVICE_1 2414/tcp
SERVICE_2 2415/tcp

One of the Nav 2009 Database Servers (SERVICE_2) is working well, but when I try to start the other one (SERVICE_1) I get "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

The database is OK, since I can connect to it directly from the Nav client. Any suggestions about possible causes and resolutions are appreciated.

For reference purposes, SERVICE_1 was installed by opening a command prompt, going to the directory for the Database Server, and running the following command:

SERVER servername=SERVICE_1,database=\\dynamics_db\NavData\SIE\my_database.fdb,NETTYPE=TCP,INSTALLASSERVICE

\\dynamics_db is a separate server (the same server used for SERVICE_2, by the way), and the folder \\dynamics_db\NavData is shared, with essentially unlimited number of users able to access it.
Alastair Farrugia

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Are the SPNs correctly registered?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    I thought I posted this in the Navision forum, not NAV 2009 - I'm not sure how it ended up here.

Anyway, this is just a NAV DB server, without SQL or RTC, so I didn't set up any SPNs.

I realise that SERVICE_1 and SERVICE_2 might be both using a default SPN (or default port number) and thus conflicting with each other.
    To check this, I uninstalled them both, re-installed SERVICE_1 only, and I still can't start it - it's the same error as before.
    Alastair Farrugia
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Ah, I missed the "NAV DB Server" part...

Ok, than check that each service is using different copy of the server folder (you can run only one service from one folder/server.exe)
    Check, that the service account under which the server is running, have access to the fdb file.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Theres a setup guide for 2 service servers in the msdn site you can check your setup and steps there
  • afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    I have now solved this problem.

The database server was in folder C:\SERVICE_1
    I moved this to the NAV folder, and it worked, so it's now C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\SERVICE_1

So, at least with NAV 2009 database server, the folder has to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\
    Thanks for all your help.
    Alastair Farrugia