End User - Upgrading to NAV 2009

edward_dav_20091013edward_dav_20091013 Member Posts: 5
Hi All

I'm working with End User who is using NAV 5 with reasonable customization. I'm myself is a certified NAV developer & have experience of upgrading NAV DBs - I would like to help my company upgrading the application to NAV 2009. We are partner with a solution centre & we don't need there help as they are charging lot of money, basically we are trying to cut down the cost.

Is it possible that I can upgrade the database with my team without solution centre help? What are the problems we can face? One i can think of is the developer license obviously which we don't have. what else?

Any help would be appreciated?

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    are you planning to use the RTC as well in which case you will need to order the new granules or not.

understanding the new functionality in 2009 and sp1 and how it might implicate onto your customisations is another issue.

Strictly speaking if you can't merge and import your current customisations with 6.001 objects you won't be able to complete the upgrade.

If you are unhappy with your current partners pricing bargain with them or buy the developer license or look around at other partners and get quotes

Though if you have a specialized customisation it can be hard to move partners
  • No RTC. Can we directly apply for license from Microsoft? Do we need new granules?

I do understand the NAV 2009 functionality(offcourse still learning) but we would like to keep the customization separately. We are only upgrading to 2 tier as 3 tier is not required.

I can see that license is an issue - can we not directly get developer license from Microsoft.?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You can contact a Navision upgrade center, and get a quote from them to do it.

No matter what though, doing it yourself will be very expensive.
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I can see that license is an issue - can we not directly get developer license from Microsoft.?

You can't just get a developer license. That's why Microsoft has partners. And that's why they charge an arm and a leg to add Solution Developer to a customer license.

If you don't have that in your license you might as well just pay your partner to do it. The Solution Developer granule is roughly $30,000. You also need to make sure you are paid up on your maintenance / enhancement fee. Otherwise Microsoft will not add NAV2009 to your license file.
  • Thanks Guys...

Quick question: Where can I find Microsoft support expiry year to different versions of NAV??
  • thanks