Cannot add forms options, even though we have Form Designer

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
Hello everyone, I am trying to add different invoice reports to the Sales Invoice form. When I go to the Print button-> Menu Items and add the new report names, I get the error on compile "You do not have permission to modify records in the Sales Invoice Header table". In our license it says we have Form Designer; what is going on? Also, I don't see any of the other print options running the report object from their line in the menu items- where do you make that link to the report then?

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I believe you want to change the report selection.

which would be Administration --> Application Setup --> Sales and Marketing --> Report selection

select the sales invoice and put your report there.
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    I haven't used that feature, but I added reports there under invoice and I don't see them appear in the invoice drop down... I'm trying to add it to the form for posted invoices under 'Print'.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Isn't the print button in Posted Sales Invoices a command button & not a menu Button?

Have you tried adding a new menu button "Alternate Reports" and adding your reports there?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You cannot edit Posted Sales Invoice form because you need to have Solution Developer for that. It seems that someone modified the printing functionality on the form that it is not using the standard Report selection table. But because the form allows you to modify data in protected table, you cannot modify this form with your license.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    From the price list explanation document for Form and Page Designer on partnersource:
    You use this granule to change existing forms and pages (windows displayed on the screen for data entry and inquiry), and it enables you to create 100 new form and page objects (included and numbered from 50,000 to 50,099).
    This granule does not include access to C/AL from forms or pages.

Basically you can add fields, remove fields, and move them around. Anything more advanced required solution developer.
    So adding different reports to the print button goes into the C/AL code of the button? Yuck. I have never used the Report Selections before- I don't see where adding my new reports under 'Invoice' makes them appear. Also, since the new invoices are three different versions of the same basic template I've Imported the report and changed the object number and name on all three, but the name only changes in object designer. If I open up any of the reports, or select it in report selections, they all have the original report name in the title bar when ran
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    the report selections works sequentially.

if you make report selections for the invoice, it will bring up the report request forms for each report in sequential order. so, for example, you could define the first report as your invoice report, a second report as a terms and conditions, a third report to... etc.

then, when the user clicks print on the invoice, the system will first pop the request form for the first report. they can print or cancel. then the second request form pops (print or cancel), then the third and so on.

you could do what you want to do, but the users will have to cancel out of the reports they do not want to run. as for the names, check the report properties from object designer (object designer --> reports --> report id --> design --> click after data items and bring up properties). The Caption is the value that will show on the request form.

edit: as for the permissions, i swear i used to be able to edit the posted invoice form before we purchased the dev license. i could not get to the C/AL behind the form or to the form variables/functions, but i could move controls around and add links to the buttons. i wonder if you have a mod in your form that carries out a function against the sales invoice table? of course, i've been working with a dev license for about 2 years now, so my memory could be foggy. in any case, you can't seem to do it, so you may have to refer to your partner to make your changes.
    kind of fell into this...
    jversusj wrote:
    the report selections works sequentially.

if you make report selections for the invoice, it will bring up the report request forms for each report in sequential order. so, for example, you could define the first report as your invoice report, a second report as a terms and conditions, a third report to... etc.

then, when the user clicks print on the invoice, the system will first pop the request form for the first report. they can print or cancel. then the second request form pops (print or cancel), then the third and so on.

you could do what you want to do, but the users will have to cancel out of the reports they do not want to run. as for the names, check the report properties from object designer (object designer --> reports --> report id --> design --> click after data items and bring up properties). The Caption is the value that will show on the request form.

edit: as for the permissions, i swear i used to be able to edit the posted invoice form before we purchased the dev license. i could not get to the C/AL behind the form or to the form variables/functions, but i could move controls around and add links to the buttons. i wonder if you have a mod in your form that carries out a function against the sales invoice table? of course, i've been working with a dev license for about 2 years now, so my memory could be foggy. in any case, you can't seem to do it, so you may have to refer to your partner to make your changes.

Ok, I thought the reports coming up multiple times was because of something I messed up trying to get the reports added. Now that this is an option and I can get the correct names displayed on each report we have a usable solution to try. Thank you jversusj and everyone else who replied!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    AlexWiley wrote:
    the new invoices are three different versions of the same basic template I've Imported the report and changed the object number and name on all three, but the name only changes in object designer. If I open up any of the reports, or select it in report selections, they all have the original report name in the title bar when ran
    That's because the Caption and CaptionML properties of the report remain the same value as the original report that you used to copy from. Open the property pages for the report and you should be able to change that. That happens to me a lot, I often forget to change the caption when I copy an object :mrgreen:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    DenSter wrote:
    That's because the Caption and CaptionML properties of the report remain the same value as the original report that you used to copy from. Open the property pages for the report and you should be able to change that. That happens to me a lot, I often forget to change the caption when I copy an object :mrgreen:

And you are not alone... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You could also create a single report with check boxes for the user to select which report(s) they want to run. That way they don't have to close request forms every time. More "user friendly" in my opinion. Having to close 2 of 3 reports every time I printed would make me think the system is not working as it should.