nassql.exe not listening on tcp 8085

datavisualdatavisual Member Posts: 4
Hello All,

What could be the reason our nassql.exe isnt listening on tcp 8085, like it should?

my nassql.exe is version 5.0.24199.0

I am starting nassql.exe for testing purposes in dos like:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Application Server>nassql.exe appservername=SV02DV_NAS2, NETTYPE=TCP, servername=SV02DV, database=LIVE, company=LIVE COMPANY, startupparameter=nastest, objectcache=85000
Date: 19-10-09- 21:17:54:  21:17:54: Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV version 5.00 (Build 24199)
  21:17:54: Copyright (c) 1987-2007 Microsoft Corporation
  21:17:54:
- 21:17:54: The Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV SV02DV_NAS2 started with the following configuration:
  21:17:54:   Database Server Name = SV02DV
  21:17:54:   Database =  LIVE
  21:17:54:   Company = LIVE COMPANY
  21:17:54:   Startup Parameter = nastest
  21:17:54:
  21:17:54: Press ESC to shut down the Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV SV02DV_NAS2.
  21:17:54: <here i pressed ESC>
- 21:26:39: The Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV SV02DV_NAS2 was shut down.
  21:26:39:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Application Server>

I have tried all sorts of commands, it looks like nassql can communicate with our SQL because in process explorer im seeing a esteblished connection to server:1433, but the process nassql.exe should also be listening op port 8085(tcp) right?

I've also tried to leave out the parameter nettype=tcp, no result.

please enlighten me :)

Regards,
Nico

edit: oh and FYI, its not listening at all, not on 8086, 8087, etc) it's just not listening at all.

Comments

• Bjarne_AstrupBjarne_Astrup Member Posts: 11
    Hi Nico,

Why should NAS be listening on port 8085?

What do you try to do?

Best Regards

Bjarne
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Not a NAS expert, but could it be your startup parameter? NasTest isn't a valid option, I don't believe. I think they are CG, ADCS, NEP-, OSYNCH, and JOBQUEUE.

That's Commerce Gateway, Automated Data Capture System (Warehouse Handhelds), Navision Employee Portal, Outlook Synchronization, and Job Queue (Service Management) I think.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    datavisual wrote:
    What could be the reason our nassql.exe isnt listening on tcp 8085, like it should?
    Could you explain this? Where did you get the impression that NAS would be "listening" to anything?

NAS is nothing more than a NAV client without a user interface, that runs as a Windows service. It simply connects to the NAV database, and executes whatever the HASHandler function in codeunit 1 is programmed to do based on the startup parameter.

There is no default NAS "listening" behavior.
  • datavisualdatavisual Member Posts: 4
    we have a silmular test environment, here is nassql.exe listening on tcp 8085 and has a connection established to the navision mssql server on tcp 1433.

we are trying to connect to the nas server on tcp 8085 with another application. This enables us to let these two(navision and our other application) to communicate with eachother trough the nas server.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    NAS does not "listen" to anything by default. NAS is not a server that clients connect to, it is a NAV client session without a user interface.

You must have programmed some sort of TCP connection that you connect to? Or did you deconstruct the NAS connection and kind of highjack it? If it's the former then we need to know more details about what it is that you programmed.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    NAS as an application itself does not listen on any port, as others mentioned.

However it is not custom modification only which could have open TCP port for listening under NAS.

Standard built-in BizTalk support, run by NAS, does listen on TCP port, either configured in BizTalk Management Setup table, or passed to NAS as startup parameter CG PORT=xxxx.

You could also have configured NAS for running ADCS. ADCS by default listens on port 11322, so in this case you should seen port number passed as string ADCS ADCSID=8085.

All the above should be passed in startupparameter=string. If you really start your nassql with startupparameter=nastest, then the only one option is to customisation made in CU1. Or you have more than one instance of nassql.exe running and you've just examined wrong instance...

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • datavisualdatavisual Member Posts: 4
    first of all; thank you all for the replies.

we have another test-session this afternoon. any updates i'll post here. i will keep you informed and maybe even post some screenshots.

regards,
    Nico