How to link a field in a form to list/selection

marsonmarson Member Posts: 9
Hi,

I have created a table name EQUIPMENTS with the following sample fields.

ID, TYPE, BRAND, CUSTODIAN, LOCATION, DESCRIPTION

Then i created a form for entering the values that includes all the fields above.
What i wanted to do is to be able to link the field CUSTODIAN to the CUSTOMER LIST so that i don't have to type in the values.

As for the BRAND I am planning to create a table where I can input all the brands and then link to this field for SELECTION.

Please see attached illustration.

Hope you can help me guys. Thank you very much and more power.

Comments

• AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    Hi.

On your Custodian field you need to create a Table Relation to the Customer table, returning the No. field.

You can find the Table Relation property if you look at the properties of your Custodian field.

You will then see a lookup arrow on your field on your form as NAV will (as if by magic!) use the DefaultLookupForm that is set on the Customer table to present you with the Customer List.

Hope that helps.
  • marsonmarson Member Posts: 9
    Hi Adrian,

Thank you very much, really appreciate the hep.
    I was able to get it work though your suggestion.

Thanks again.
    No worries.

Ade
    Hi again. I have one more problem to solve.

I created two new tables:

1. Equipment Table
    - Equipment ID
    - Name
    - Serial

2. Equipment Log
    - Equipment ID - Defined to be related with "Equipment Table"."Equipment ID"
    - Date Reported
    - Problem

When i try to click on the arrow up, I can't see the list of my Equipments from Equipment Table.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
    The LookUp needs to look up to a form.

You need to create a List form for the Equipment table. You then need to set this Form as the DefaultLookupFormID on the Equipment table. Then when a lookup is based on this relation it will display that lookup form.

This is all covered in the C/Side development guides and is pretty basic stuff. Have you had any training at all?
    I made it again with your suggestion... thank you very much