Maximum order quantity and reorder cycle

MatthewRBrittonMatthewRBritton Member Posts: 27
Hi all,

In our factory many of our products have a fixed batch/lot size due to processing constraints. For example, a batch may be limited to 100 units. I have set this size up as both the minimum order quantity, maximum order quantity and order multiple. I also have a reordering cycle of 45 days for this item to allow rescheduling within that time to occur.

If I enter a sales order for 300 units, the planning worksheet plans beautifully and suggests 3 production orders of 100 units. If I then create those orders and re-run the regenerative plan, the system suggests that I cancel two production orders, and change the quantity of the third to 300. Is MRP disagreeing with itself?

Microsoft tells me (via our partner/consultants) that I should not use a reorder cycle with the field maximum order quantity (although this is not in the help file). If I remove the re-order cycle and my customer decides to move the sales order a week earlier (as they are apt to do) the planning worksheet will suggest I cancel my production orders and create new ones for the new date rather then re-schedule the existing ones.

Has anyone else come accross this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

Answers

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi

In fairness the reorder cycle help states "Note: It is not recommended to use the Reorder Cycle field together with the reordering policy Maximum Qty., and in most cases the reorder cycle will be overruled."

Unfortunately I have had lots of issues with the policy of Maximum Qty. What version are you using?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • MatthewRBrittonMatthewRBritton Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your reply Adam.

My re-ording policy is lot-for-lot, which I didn't think would be an issue and I would be happy for the re-order cycle to be overruled in place of the maximum order quantity field. I want the maximum order quantity field to be respected. We are using version 5.0 sp1.

Can you tell me the problems you have seen?
    Hi Adam and others,

After extensive discussion testing and to-and-fro this issue has been recognised as a bug and a fix will be supplied. At this stage it would appear it is not caused by the base product but by our partners add-on module. I will keep you updated if I hear it is related to the Microsoft product.

Regards

Matt
    Dear all,

Just to update on this issue. This is now with MBS for development of a patch, so we can look forward to this being corrected in the near future.

Thanks

Matt
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi Matthew

Good news :D

I am sure I replied to this post with the advice that I had posted many of the issues here and on dynamicsusers.net

There are just many versions and many conditions that caused oddities, were fixed and this broke it in two other places! It is just the one I always used to have the most issues with.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen