Use Tax

almhansenalmhansen Member Posts: 117
I posted this as part of another question and I shouldn't have since it is a different issue.

I entered an invoice that had to have use tax calculated on it. The Accounts Payable account reflected the invoice amount plus my use tax amount. It should not have. My AP account should have been the value of the invoice and my use tax account should have had the difference posted to it, and it did not.

What do I have set up wrong for use tax?

Comments

• AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    When you look at the Purch. Inv. Line table for that invoice, what do the fields have for Tax %, Amount, and Amount Including Tax? You can also test this by entering a purchase invoice and before posting check the statistics (F9)- what shows up when you enter it the exact same way as the one you had issues? Make sure to include version information and if you have an tax modifications, localizations, or other changes (such as using both VAT and Sales Tax).
  • almhansenalmhansen Member Posts: 117
    Here is what this particular invoice entry information looks like. I need AP to reflect the amount without tax, the expense account to reflect with tax, and my use tax account to have the tax amount. This invoice didn't post anything to the use tax account, but the total amounts to the ap and expense account.

This is NAV 2009 RTC.
    And what does the tax setup look like? AP should get hit with -156.62, Purchase Acct. (expense) should get 148.31, and use tax should get 8.31.
    AP should get hit with -156.62, Purchase Acct. (expense) should get 148.31, and use tax should get 8.31.

I am not sure what I should change about the tax set up, but AP should NOT get hit with 156.62 because we don't owe the tax to the vendor. We need to accrue for it as USE tax to pay directly to the stat. AP should get 148.31, expense should get 156.62 and tax should get 8.31. Right now only AP & expense are both being hit for 156.62.
    Do you have unrealized tax setup turned on? Sorry about the incorrect values, I didn't think about it carefully enough when I posted.
    I do now. Or I should say, I've set up the accounts in my jurisdiction table. Now how do I use it correctly?
    General ledger setup, General tab, on the right hand side. I haven't used the RTC much, but I just tried to enter some sales tax information in the RTC and when I went to Classic (to access the Tax tables that appear to be unavailable in the demo RTC) the information I entered was not there- I received no errors, I just 'OK'd out of the window... have you double checked your setup in the classic client?
    I've done that.... Not sure what to do next....
    The only other things I could recommend is to fully pay the invoice and see if that makes the tax transactions appear, and to make sure you didn't put any values in the tax details for tax above/tax below to make sure you are meeting the requirement.
    When I try to enter an invoice line and click the "Use Tax" box, I get this error. Any ideas?