Options

Upgrade Nav5 new Reports to RTC

monasamonasa Member Posts: 9
edited 2009-10-10 in NAV Three Tier
Hi
I have 300s Reports that I have to Upgrade them to Nav 2009 RTC, I already merged it to Classics and they are fine,

is there a any tools rather than Create Layout Suggestions to create these layout for me or I have to do "Create Layout Suggestion" and manually modify the layout one by one.

I found out that the "Create Layout suggestion" doesn't work for reports with more than one data items
Also I already know that I can open reports in RTC using Classics but i need to create the layout and use rdlc.

Please let me know if there is any Tools or any answer

Thanks
Mona

Comments

• Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    I'm sorry that you have to upgrade 300 reports.

I don't think there are any tools.

You'll have to do them one by one. MS estimated that it will take between 8 to 16 per report. Let's say an average of 12 hours per report that's 3600 hours total.

You could just use reporting services and move some of the reports to ssrs but because of licensing, the customer has to pay extra.

In other words it will take you 150 days to upgrade the reports. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can run untransformed reports from the RTC, try it. You can keep all existing reports, and transform the only the ones they really want to have on the RDLC capabilities. It will still take 150 days to transform all of them, but at least your go-live date can be met.

Mark Brummel wrote a blog about it if you can't make it work.
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    I doubt you would need to transform all 300 reports.
    In most NAV installations, there are multiple reports that aren't used anymore. You could add a bit of code in Codeunit 1 to store each time a report is executed.
    Secondly, many of the reports are most likely showing almost the same data, maybe just grouped in different ways. These reports can be combined into one report, due to the the extended features of the RTC reports.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for your replies,
    Then 150 days, it is.
    :shock: :cry:
  • Options
    It's not black and white like that. You could opt to not transform any reports, and be done in 0 days. Untransformed reports will run in the RTC, they just run in 'classic NAV mode' instead of on SSRS. I think it's worth to look into.
  • Options
    Classic client will not be supported in future and the reports will need to upgraded.

I'm guessing that in future version probably more changes will come to reports so as DenSter said you could choose not to upgrade them and do a wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    generic wrote:
    Classic client will not be supported in future and the reports will need to upgraded.
    I never said to 'wait and see', and I never said anything about using the classic client.

The point is that you don't HAVE to postpone the upgrade go-live for ALL the reports to be transformed. You could go live on the RTC with all reports in the NAV state, and start transforming reports on a high-low priority basis from there, while already using the RTC.

In fact I would recommend only transforming the highest priority reports, so you wouldn't spend countless hours on reports that nobody uses.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And do not forget that you need transform reports which are called through variable of type report. These reports must be transformed...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    It can not take 150 days to o reports in a Navision upgrade. Take a reality time out here and look at this issue more pragmatically. ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    And do not forget that you need transform reports which are called through variable of type report. These reports must be transformed...

Thanks, I think this is important, because if I wanted to prioritize the reports to create Layout. The reports which are called within Code units and Form and Tables Triggers or any functions would be my first priority.
    To be honest, MS really need to find a way to solve this issue because now in order to upgrade we need to spend more time, first prioritize the reports base on the variable type Report and Customer Preference and also what SSRS functionality can give to the customer and so on. “Add time to Nav Upgrade”

And then Layout creation time, even if it does not take 8 hours to upgrade report, which I really think, this time really depends on the complexity of reports, it can take 1 hours for one reports or it can take 16 hours “which I doubt it really” for another report. “Again add time to Upgrade”

Page creation “Transformation” and Customization “Again add time to upgrade”
    And etc...

Which before we really had to just merge and compile and test, and manually fix just minor issues
    These are all time consuming, and make clients think twice to upgrade, I was impressed with Nav 2009 before the Reports issue but now I really don’t know #-o

Mona
  • Options
    It can not take 150 days to o reports in a Navision upgrade. Take a reality time out here and look at this issue more pragmatically. ](*,)

On original calculation my math was

12 hrs * 300 reports / 24 hours = 150 days.

Obviously he won't be working 24 hours per day to upgrade the report. Lets say 8 hours. That would be 450 days to upgrade the report.

So I took the most conservative estimate and let's say it takes 4 hours per report on average

4 hrs(avg) * 300 reports / 8 hours/day = 150 days.

monasa, I suggest that you upgrade 1 medium complex report and let us know how long it took you.